Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TALL! Whoa!

Posted by bearstate 9 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 07 at 13:32

Here in BKF, some of my neighbors have been sharing my new hobby interest in gardening and I received a couple tubers to amuse me ...

Tall Canna

The chopped off cane in the picture is as big as a banana cane. And well it should be since it will grow to be this ...

Tall Canna

No, that really tall thing is an Italian Cypress. I'm referring the orange flowered thing. LOL. That fence is just near 6' tall and the edge of the roof tops are about 8'. So these Canna are growing nearly 12' tall or better.

I think they may be what Karchesky Canna lists as "Wyoming Green", but can't be certain. The leaves are not bronze, but green with a purple border.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TALL! Whoa!

The is a variety called Canna Musifolia Grande that has leaves that look like that, and they can get as tall as 13'. Scroll down the page at the website link to see the description and a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant canna site

o

Canna Musa Grande's flowers are typical of wild Cannas ... small and narrow, kind of honeysuckle like.

This big Canna has large petalled flowers. Go to the Karchesky Canna site and compare "Green Wyoming" to "Musa Grande" and you'll see what I mean. I figure it's "Green Wyoming". That's not to say that "Wyoming" is not a hybrid that has "Musa Grande" as one of its lineage.

Stuttgardt with it's variegated leaves is a very interesting Canna. I wonder if I can get seed for that variety?

o

I have Wyoming Green and my cannas are blooming right now...look like your photo. The leaves should have a dark thin margin around the leaf. My Wyoming dark foliage is blooming now, too, even though we have been in th 30's for last several day and had snow yesterday for a short time.

Peggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here