Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Deep?

Posted by john_bonzo 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 10, 06 at 13:40

If I were to try putting a wooden box (with no bottom)underground around cannas in a bed to keep them contained to one area, how deep do you think this box would have to be? Also, what would a safe thickness be for the box? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Deep?

Are you sure you want to use wood? I'm definitely not an expert on wood but it seems to me that with all the watering that cannas require would only make the wood rot rapidly. The canna rhizomes would get large and strong enough to push right out of the contained area.

But in answer to your question, I would think that no more than about a foot deep as they're a fairly shallow planted plant. How large of an area are you talking about?

A thought that I just had was to plant your cannas into large planters and just place them into the bed/beds. You could either sink them or not. If you use large decorative planters you can just place them among the foliage and flowers of other plants and the planters can be garden accents.

Jenna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here