Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okieinbalto

potted cannas

okieinbalto
19 years ago

Can potted cannas be brought indoors and allowed to grow all winter and put back outdoors in the spring or do they need a rest?

Comments (7)

• cannafreak
    19 years ago

Yes they can be brought inside and placed in a south window. I would watch out for spidermites they can be a problem so mist the leaves daily. Check the faq section they cover overwintering cannas.

Tara

• noojiwooji
    19 years ago

I have a potted canna lily, and im having problems with it.
    I think its dying . Its starting to dry out. what should i do. Ive never stored bulbs. Im new with cala lilys. in the summer it doesnt really bloom and the leaf tips are always brown. should i move it to a bigger pot?

• cannafreak
    19 years ago

First I would need to know if you had a canna or a calla lily. If you have a canna are you trying to grow it indoors for the winter? What is the size of the pot that it is in now? Cannas spread quickly so you may have to divide and repot it. How often do you water it? Cannas should never be completely dry.

If you potted it up in the spring and it grew all summer the chances are you will have to divide and repot. I had 2 5 gallon pots going and by the end of the summer the rhizomes became huge. The leaves browning could be a result of underwatering but I would need to know more before I can answer for sure. HTH, Tara

• noojiwooji
    19 years ago

oops, i do have a canna lily. i had it out in the spring and brought it in in fall. it sat infront of the back door scince. i think the cold air got to it. i have it in a twelve inch pot. if i do need to gather the bulb will you explain how to do it, and do i need to cut the stalks down?

• cannafreak
    19 years ago

Check out the link I attached there is storage suggestions on it. Also you can check out the faq it has storage suggestions too. Finally you can do a search and there is a ton of information of different ways of storage.

The way I store them is cut the stalks down and pull it out of the pot. Wash the dirt off and let the rhizomes dry for a week or so. When dry I store in loose peatmoss in my attic that doesn't go below 50 or above 60 degrees in the winter. I sprinkle some water on them from time to time because they should never be allowed to dry out completely and also to check for any fungus. HTH, Tara

Here is a link that might be useful: Canna Storage

• noojiwooji
    19 years ago

thank you.

is it ok to plant them in the ground in the spring even though im in zone 4.

• cannafreak
    19 years ago

Go ahead and plant as soon as the ground warms. Next year if you want try an experiment plant a couple of the rhizomes as close to the foundation of your house providing you can give them sunshine, then in the fall after the leaves are killed by frost mulch the area and see what happens. Who knows they may come up the following spring.
    Good Luck,
    Tara

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia