Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do I do with the roots all over the canna rhizomes?

Posted by Irish_rose_grower z7 LI NY (maureenpm00@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 16:30

HI. I'm new to cannas and am in the process of storing them over the winter in my attic.

I just am ready to pack bengal tiger and was wondering, what do I do with the bunch of roots coming out of the rhizomes? Do I leave them or cut them off?

----

Also, I've noticed that different varieties, like this one and red king humbert had completely different types of rhizomes. The red king humbert has what looks like tulips bulbs attached to the sides and bottom of each other. How do I know where to divide them? I just kept about 5 of them together when I broke the clump up. It is amazing how fast that variety multiplied.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do I do with the roots all over the canna rhizomes?

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 19:50

Cut the wee roots off ( no pun intended ). They will only shrivel in the winter anyway.

I tend to keep the rhizomes together until they start sprouting. Then I can readily see which ones are viable. At that point, I cut them, dust with a fungicide, let dry a wee while, and then plant in the spring.

o

What fungicide do you recommend?

o

Jroot - thank you for this info. But I'm still a bit confused, there are big roots and tiny roots. Do I cut off all the big roots?

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving,
Maureen

o

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 25, 05 at 17:27

Sorry about that. It is the Scot in me ( or as my wife says "the scotch in" me). LOL Wee means small.

Cut off the small roots. If they are really huge, the larger ones CAN be cut after cleaning. IF you cut, the wound should be dusted with some sort of bulb and tuber dust ( a fungicide), as well as the rest of the rhizome. Personally, I like to keep the stock together, and divide in the spring, as I mentioned because I can more readily see which are viable sprouts.

Store them in a dark, dry place about 55 degrees F. They don't like to be cold or they rot (I found that out the hard way), and they don't like to be hot or they sprout. The rest period is necessary though.

By the way, the trimming of the roots, I usually do in the fall as it is easier to clean. However, many folks dig it up, and "park" the clump in the cool, dry spot until spring, and then do the trimming. Either time works well, but trimming in the fall allows for less space being used, if space is at a premium. It is definitely at a premium in my wee house, as I need space for my dahlia, and my 20 + brugmansia trees.

o

What fungicide do you recommend?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here