Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canna from seed

Posted by faerybum z5 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 5, 05 at 18:20

hi! so i have some seeds i collected during the past month or two and im wondering if i start them inside now, will they get humongous by the time spring rolls around? or should i wait so theyre not so big when i plant them outside?
thanks,
ustya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canna from seed

In zone 5, I'd wait and sow around January if you have a nice sunny south facing window in 1 gallon pots. They don't mind being rootbound so by the time it's safe to plant them outside they will be rarin to go.

X

o

thanks! i decided to plant just a few this morning, just to see how they grow... i saved the other half for january :-)

o

Now?...January...? I wouldn't start them before late April/May at the earliest! They grow super fast after you nick the seedcoat, presoak, and plant. When you soak the nicked seed, the white root comes out within a few days. The seeds put out about an inch of growth every few days under lights. You'll need a lot of indoor space to keep them until you can plant them out. They get planted outside when the soil warms up in June, otherwise they'd rot (especially in your zone). Remember, these are tropical plants. Good luck.

o

What various colors does anyone have? I really like that reddish-pink (as I see it) one. Anyone have some seeds?

o

• Posted by rokal LongIsland/z6b (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 7:45

Garuda,

I have some fresh seeds collected from Canna City of Portland that I could send you for a SASE. Please email me if you are still interested.

Rokal

o

What about in my warmer climate?? Could I start some now... I've got a "greenhouse"... I'd really like to start some seeing as my golden retrievers just destroyed my brand new Cleopatra cannas after 3 hours in a pot... I am devastated... so I'd like to get some new ones started, let me know if you think it's warm enough... also, if anyone has any seeds from Cleopatra I'd really like to trade or even purchase, I'm just so upset... Some nice trader sent them to me and my dogs took care of them... :(
Brittany

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here