Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billpuscas

When to plant canna seeds in So Cal

billpuscas
15 years ago

Hi,

I live in Southern California (Newport beach, Huntington beach) about a mile form the coast (not bragging just giving an idea of climate) I am wondering how early I should start Canna seeds? I will start the seeds indoors in large seed trays, then transfer to small pots. Finlay I will harden off before transplanting to my garden. Since we do not get frost I would like to have the plants ready to go in to the ground as early as possible. I would Also like to have the plants as big as possible when I transplant them.

Thanks for any info

Bill

Comments (2)

• fatbaldguy
    15 years ago

When do your soil temps reach 60 degrees F and continue rising? When do the ambient air temps remain above 70 degrees F? Then of course you may have a micro-climate that permits an earlier planting date. Those are the dates I would be looking to transplant to the soil. You could start the seeds 6 to 8 weeks before that time if you don't mind potting on as the seedlings grow.

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

You can plant them anytime. I've started them indoors around December, and by late February or early March they go outside. I also get seedlings popping up all by themselves at any given time of the year. I have to go around and pick them from the flower beds. If you want them to grow fast, i would put them in the ground as soon as possible. They are EXTREMELY fast growers and you can get large plants within a month or two.