Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropicanna vs. Tropicana - What Gives?

Posted by rokal LongIsland/z6b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 05 at 21:35

Is there a difference between these two cannas besides the name?

Is 'Tropicana' a rip off of Canna 'Phasion' Tropicanna?

I see both advertised. Thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropicanna vs. Tropicana - What Gives?

Tropicanna is a trademarked name, which means only "authorized" sellers can sell it. So unauthorized sellers will sell it as Tropicana (with only one N, to get around the trademark issue).

Tropicanna and Phaison are the same plant, just different names, like Pretoria and Bengal Tiger are the same plant, and Christ's Light and Striped Beauty are the same.

o

• Posted by rokal LongIsland/z6b (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 4, 05 at 20:02

Thanks. So, are they genetically the same plant or are they slightly different? If different, is Tropicanna worth the extra money? Tropicana can be purchased on eBay for about $4 but the cheapest I've seen Tropicanna is $20.

o

Tropicanna and Tropicana are the same. The correct spelling is Tropicanna. Some folks don't pay much attention to spelling.

As for the price difference, you can compare any two plants and come up with huge price differences by various sellers of the same plant. But you may also be comparing different size plants. For instance, the $4 Tropicanna may be simply be a rhizome. The $20 one may be a nice plant. Our Lowe's sells them for about $13 for a 2-gallon pot with usually two rhizomes and several stems of plants. Of course, the price difference may also pertain to the seller's reputation and experience as well.

o

• Posted by rokal LongIsland/z6b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 10, 06 at 19:01

Thanks for the info. I decided to take a chance on the $4 per rhizome plants on eBay. So far, I am pleased as the color looks great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here