Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to store canna tropicana for the winter

Posted by fita46 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 07 at 22:12

We invested a lot of money in our canna tropicana and want to winterize them properly. Any suggestions for Shore area of New Jersey?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to store canna tropicana for the winter

We have our canna tropicanas in large pots on our deck. Can we cut them down and leave them in the pot and bring them inside, or do we have to remove them from the pots HOw do we winterize them if we remove them from the pots?

o

I think the standard way to winter over cannas in zones colder than 7 is to cut off the stalks, dig them out of the ground, or in your case remove them from the pots, wash the dirt off the rhizomes, and store the rhizomes in a cool dark place till spring. I believe while the rhizomes are being stored they shouldn't get bone dry or too moist. Last year I checked mine in the celler every month or so and ended up misting some of them in February. If I were you I would first check out the zone you live in. Next I would do a search at this forum about storing cannas. It seems every third question is about this topic. There is sure to be a ton of info here if you do a search.

o

When I lived in the R.I. Ma. area and I had to store my rhizomes, I burried them in sandbox sand in large plastic window boxes covered with newspaper in the basement. I made sure that the sand was moist all the time. Just before spring, the stems begin to grow. I pre-start them indoors and put them out when it is safe from frost.

o

I think Tropicana stores the same as any other canna.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here