Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with a id

Posted by miketropic 6B - 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 23:40

I have a pic from someone elses garden of a canna I have never seen. the leaf is a plum purple and very wide with a green stripe similar to an athena. the flower is a polyploid type with large pedals and are pink. I do have a pic of this but im on my phone. if no one can id it I will put the pic up..would really like to get one of these

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with a id

Mike,

A photo is a must do.

Kent

o

this one over in the corner..plum purple leaf with the green stripe..I did get a chance to talk to the owner he said he would look for the tag he has had it 5 or 6 years..he said only some of them will make the stripe as well so it could be a mutation

o

Mike,

Your landscaping is quite nice. I am at a loss as to the identity of your canna if you consider it to have a pink bloom. Its foliage strongly resembles C. La France which I will attempt to attach a couple of photos. The bloom color may not be a match. This cultivar is sometimes sold as Tropicanna Black here in the U.S. This might account for your friend’s acquisition. Another clue might be if we knew where he had obtained his plant. I suspect the green stripe as you describe rarely occurs and is more of an anomaly.

You have to be the judge of that.

Kent

o

Mike,

Try to post a better photo of the leaf.

Kent

o

well it isn't my landscapeing but it is very nice. the pic came from a mans garden over in the uk. if he gets back to me with a name I will def let you know. I have some tropicanna black and the leaves are more bronze like australa..those look very very purple to me...close but I don't think that's it. I will update if I ever find out..I also asked if that rhizome keeps putting out the odd ball leaves if I could purchase one from him so we will see..it could always revert but would be nice if it didnt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here