Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Leaf rollers

JohnnieB
16 years ago

My sister-in-law recently moved from Atlanta to southeastern Pennsylvania. She is an avid gardener and likes to grow a lot of different plants. When I offered her some rhizomes from my Canna 'Musifolia' (I harvested at least 20 pounds of rhizomes, from one fairly small rhizome that I planted in the spring!) she turned them down saying that she liked cannas but had too much trouble with leaf rollers disfiguring their foliage in Atlanta. I've never experienced canna leaf rollers and I don't think anybody else in my area has, either. How far north do they go? Can I reassure her that she won't have this problem where she is now?

Comments (2)

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

I am not sure how far north they go, but they showed up on my Cannas for the first time ever. They were everywhere I would love to find out a way to prevent them for next year.

• biosparite
    16 years ago

When I see that a canna leaf has been rolled up, I look for the caterpillar of the Brazilian Skipper butterfly. During NABA July 4 butterfly counts around Houston I often do not see the adult butterfly, but if I find cannas in someone's yard or growing out in an abandoned farmstead on the Katy Prairie, I know I shall be able to report at least the caterpillar of this species. If you take a look at the Brazilian Skipper on Google Images, and if in fact you have that butterfly in your region, you might want to hold back on the pesticides to let a cool butterfly complete its life cycle.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!