Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pics of how to divide giant clump?

Posted by ClickerMel z6a SW Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 05 at 18:17

Here's my dilemma:
First year with cannas. Got one tuber/rhizome from a friend . . . went to dig it up last Thursday (after several overnight frosts) and it is now a 3-4' diameter clump. This thing is huge; it must have at least 30 new tubers and the entire clump weighs at least 40#.

It is too cold outside now to hose it off, and the thing is too big to fit into my sink :). I have never divided anything before this year, and am unsure of where to divide these rhizomes so I can wash them off and soak them in the bleach solution and all that.

Any ideas? Should I just let the dirt dry (I got as much off in the garden as I could) and brush it off as it dries?

We are going to do our best to keep the thermostat at 55 degrees this winter, and I think that's in the proper temperature range, so hopefully closet storage shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone have a link to a pictorial of how to divide these things? I don't want to lose any!

Thanks!

:-) Mel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pics of how to divide giant clump?

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 5, 05 at 12:32

It is too late for me to take photos of what I do, as mine have been asleep for over a month.

I usually do my final division in the spring before potting up. That way I can see which eyes are going to be viable. Here someone else thinks that way as well.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_perennials/article/0,1785,HGTV_3610_1396593,00.html

Here is another link that gives good description.
http://www.greendealer-exotic-seeds.com/seeds/HowtoDivide.html

However, I did find this link with pictures. It may be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: dividing canna

o

Thanks for the links, Jroot. The one with the pictures showed rhizomes that look quite a bit different from mine! Mine are more oval-shaped, pretty big, and a dark purplish-red.

I think I'd be more comfortable dividing in the spring, as it will be easier to see where to cut. I don't know where to make the cuts, or if the new rhizomes can be gently pulled off, or what. I don't know how to find the eyes.

My problem is storing such a massive clump. One of the articles you shared did say it was better to leave some of the original soil on, so perhaps I could put them in a giant garbage bag filled with peat moss? Do I moisten the peat at all first or just leave it dry?

I might have to divide the monster clump at least in half, though, to get it to be a store-able size. That's what I need to know -- how to figure out where to cut. I left the stalks on to about 8" high as that's what I had read. Are the stalks any indication of where to cut?

And can I use cinnamon as a fungicide? (I know it's what you should use on orchids, and I just used some last night when I repotted.)

Thanks in advance!!!

:-) Mel

o

This is what I have done : 1. dig up the tubers 2. cut the stems off 3. dry for a few weeks 4. break them apart so they will fit into my box--I leave 1-3 growing tips on each one, break the excess soil off 5. place in a box with sawdust as a filler 6. store in garage at 50* till Spring(June) SB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here