Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
filix_gw

What are the tallest cana's I can grow in z5

filix
17 years ago

And do they have to have full sun? How about half? I don't care if these ones bloom. Just lookin to make a screen..Thankyou so much

Comments (14)

• andypython
    17 years ago

Stuttgart are tall and do best in part shade. In full sun Canna Musafolia are huge and grow pretty quick.

• filix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanyou.

• filix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found both of those canna's on line at canada's bamboo world. Is this a good place to get them?. Im in Maine...Thanks

• filix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I bought stuttgart,canna musafolia,omega,intrigue,and indica purpurea. I will be planting them all in home made wooden containers im making now 20"x 18 wide x 19 deep. Hope they get big here in z 5....

• turquoise
    17 years ago

I grew indica purpurea (I think) last year and they were huge! By the end of the summer they were easily to the height of our garage, at least 8 feet, probably more. I started them indoors last spring, although they didn't really take off until the weather warmed up.

• filix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That gives me hope turquoise! I'm going to start them about mid march. I will put them in smaller containers in my cold frame. Then when the day cools down put them in my heated shed. Its a bit of work but I want to give them a good headstart. Hope they get big like yours did. Filix

• watergal
    17 years ago

I don't know what your cold frame temps are like, but they will take forever to sprout if they get chilled a few times. You may be better off starting them indoors in a warm spot.

• rusty_blackhaw
    17 years ago

Red King Humbert is an inexpensive and readily available tall orange-red (6 feet or so).

Stuttgart is liable to suffer foliage burn even in half day sun in a hot summer climate.

• filix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I belive the temps in my cold frame will be the same as my house in late march. But with full sun. Around 70F. They will stay in my cozy potting shed when the sun is not out. My potting shed has heat. The people at karcheskys said in zone 5 keep the stuttgart in full sun.

• abutilon
    17 years ago

All the purpurea clones. Omega and peach gigantum. The musafolias.
    'Intrigue'. Also, two new hybrids for 2007..'Pewter Moon' and 'Purple Passion'.
    With good care into the heat of summer .. water, and regular fertilization with diluted fish emulsion.. all these varieties can reach 10-12' before frost in your zone.
    All best :-)
    ~Alice

• filix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Alice. If I get those 10 feet tall I will be hooked! I will be bringing them in and out of the cold frame. I know its alot of work but I dont mind. I plan on puting the rizomes In the smallest pots I can "so they can be easily moved" and then when we are past the last frost put them in large containers. I already bought some 5.1.1 fish emulsion. Hope this all works.....Filix

• turquoise
    17 years ago

I'm sure they'll do fine Filix! I'm a complete novice and had a "canna forest" last year. It was jaw-dropping, way too many really!

Overall they're pretty forgiving, at least the variety I had. My canna (purpurea I think) had full sun for 8-9 hours a day and I watered them lightly about once a day. They were very vigorous growers! I bought mine on Ebay (roughly $1 a tuber) and was very fortunate. Good luck, post pictures once they start growing! I'll dig up a picture of last year's garden if I can find one.

• turquoise
    17 years ago

I found a picture for you. The edge of the garage roof is 8 feet tall! I think they were even taller before it was all over. The far end of the garage received the most sun. And yes, there's a path through there, not that anyone could walk through by the end of the summer.

As you can see, I overplanted just a tad! :) These year I'll have fewer.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:540150}}

• filix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great pic! I cant wait to see how mine will do. One buck each? great deal. I paid around 10. Most of mine "or all" will be in large containers. They will be two feet of the ground to start with....Filix

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living