Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xtreme_gardener

Almost Spring Tasks?

xtreme_gardener
17 years ago

Well, I thought since the days are getting longer and we're all chomping at the bit to see some bare ground, I'd follow up the 'Autumn Tasks' thread with an 'Almost Spring Tasks' thread. Besides...conversations is way too quiet around here :^)

I've been waiting for some milder weather (which might come this week) to WS some more containers, but I've also started getting some paper pots and flats ready for some indoor planting soon...I'm a bit behind most folks, being in zone 1 .

I was also thinking I should gather up some old blankets or covers of some sort for any nasty April/May frosts that might like to take advantage of my WS'd seedlings. I'm not sure how much frost they can take in their containers?

And since I live out of town and it sucks to get caught without the things you need when its time to do something in the garden, I've been picking up some things already. Potting soil, fertilizer, seeds etc. Might go shopping for some outdoor containers next town trip...stores are slowly getting thier spring stuff out around here.

Anyone else...?

Comments (6)

• ve_e

Spring?? just because it's going to rain tonight? :) I only just got my WS done last week .. let's not be too hasty with the warm weather!

I have so many "spring" tasks that need doing, moving some mulch, overseeding my lawn, cleaning up stray-cat poop, emptying my son's sand box, getting our bikes up and running, painting the basement, cleaning out the basement, etc, etc. My winter tasks become my spring tasks and then they become summer ones and so on and so on. It never ends.

I must say, I'm quite happy that it's still light out after 5pm these days, though .. and I guess we spring ahead this weekend already so we'll have lots more outside time coming soon.

Tiffy, I love the mosaic work, looks fabulous!

• ve_e

Spring?? just because it's going to rain tonight? :) I only just got my WS done last week .. let's not be too hasty with the warm weather!

I have so many "spring" tasks that need doing, moving some mulch, overseeding my lawn, cleaning up stray-cat poop, emptying my son's sand box, getting our bikes up and running, painting the basement, cleaning out the basement, etc, etc. My winter tasks become my spring tasks and then they become summer ones and so on and so on. It never ends.

I must say, I'm quite happy that it's still light out after 5pm these days, though .. and I guess we spring ahead this weekend already so we'll have lots more outside time coming soon.

• ve_e

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

It hurts just to imagine picking up a bag of potting soil... Caught a nasty flu and pinched a nerve in my lower spine with all the coughing and sneezing. Bad, bad situation.

So my spring task is going to be getting my back in shape to clean up the gardens once they thaw out. Still frozen here so I have a bit of time.

I am also still working on completing a few garden ornaments I started this winter. This is one of them which I finished just a week ago or so...

{{gwi:540596}}

{{gwi:137837}}

• skraps
    17 years ago

It as been far to quiet in here . I'm anxious for spring to come . Was hopeing to go to the canada blooms this weekend.. Started some winter sowing but still have lots to do. Looks like storm did some damage to trees lots of bits and pieces to clean up .Hired a new crew to take care of my lawn it sure needs help.
    Sorry to hear about your shoulder Tiffy but your garden ornaments are amazing.
    Lets pray for a early spring and hope that the frost stays away from your seedlings extreme..
    Got to start thinking of replacing some soil in my gardens or adding lots of new..

• xtreme_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tiffy, I saw your ornaments in another thread somewhere, too, and was impressed. They look awsome. I'm a big fan of mosaic work. I have a cement bench outside that I'd like to do something on...maybe this spring!
    I feel for you with your back, I also pinched my lower back this winter, but it seems to have worked itself out. Hope yours does too, long before you need to pick up any bags of soil :^) Take it easy!

Oh c'mon, Ve e! You're in zone 5 and you're not ready for spring to spring?! We still have snow up to the tops of my legs and I'm thinking about it :^) It seems like you wait and wait then bam! its here and there's a million things to do and not enough time to do it, then it's hotter than hades and all you want to do is sit in a lake and do anything but work! LOL! I even saw some crazy crows already! They were probably lost ...:^(
    I'm loving the daylight, too.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?