{{gwi:540685}}
Gaillardia grandiflora ÂBurgundy Blanket Flower

{{gwi:540687}}
{{gwi:540690}}
Centaurea macrocephala Bighead Knapweed

The other day my friend said this looks like a Pineapple Plant. LOL

{{gwi:540693}}
Lychnis arkwrightii Arkwright's Campion

I'll have to move this patch up closer to the border, I thought they would be much taller. But man oh man, can you see the vivid orange a mile away!

{{gwi:540696}}
Verbascum nigrum

{{gwi:540699}}
Rudbeckia amplexicaulis Clasping Coneflower

Sharon

Comments (14)

• articfire
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    Your pics are fantastic! I wintersowed Burgendy Blanket Flower 3 years ago unfortunately this past spring they didn't return your pic has reminded me that I need to wintersow them again.
    I absolutely love the Lychnis it looks awesome!
    Michelle

• claubill
    17 years ago

Hi Crazy_Gardener:

I'm so glad I went to this site. For years, I've had these flowers which I couldn't identify and now I know what they are: heliopsis. I also have gallardia but only the yellow ones. Your grandiflora are just beautiful. I also started some lychnis awkwrightii but they are just babies right now. Do you think they'll bloom this year?

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Michelle & claubill!
    Those L. awkwrightii were sowed last year and no they did not bloom the first year, but well worth the wait.

Here are some more WS's plants.
    {{gwi:540702}}
    Solidago 'Crown of Rays' Goldenrod

{{gwi:540703}}
    Papaver somniferum 'Venus' Poppy

{{gwi:540705}}
    Verbascum chaixii var. album
    {{gwi:417416}}
    Monarda citriodora Lemon Bergamot

{{gwi:540708}}
    Adonis aestivalis

{{gwi:540709}}
    Anemone tomentosa 'Robustissima'

Sharon

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Sharon,

Would you mind saving me some seed from your Centaurea macrocepha and Rudbeckia amplexicaulis? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Syreeta

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Stop making me drool!!!! Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

For sure Syreeta!

Thanks Nicole, here's more kleenex if you need it. LOL

{{gwi:540710}}
    Dianthus amurensis - late bloomer

{{gwi:540711}}
    {{gwi:540712}}
    Oenothera missouriensis Ozark Sundrop in my new rock garden.

{{gwi:540713}}
    Eryngium planum Sea Holly

{{gwi:540714}}
    Echinops ritro Globe Thistle

Sharon

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

OK, so you're a zone 2 and I'm a zone 6 and your globe thistle is showing it's lavender blue before mine. What's up with that?!? LOL!!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Nicole, i think a lot of it has to do with our longer days. It helps things get going a lot faster because we have a shorter season. My friend who used to live in Thompson, MB was able to work in her garden until at least 11 p.m. - though i don't know how she put up with the bugs that long!

• venuscat
    17 years ago

crazy gardener,

Do you have any venus poppy seed and centraurea macrocephala knapweed seeds to spare? I can send you peony poppy seeds and yellow asiatic lily bulb in exchange.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85998262@N00/sets/72157594232594628/

Let me know if we can work out a trade.

• anna_in_quebec
    17 years ago

Gorgeous pictures! I am a big fan of lychnis, but I have never seen Lychnis arkwrightii Arkwright's Campion. Might you have some seeds available? I just love bright orange colours. I have nothing too exotic or original in my garden, but would you consider a SASE for those seeds? Once again - lovely pictures - you must be so very proud of your garden!

Anna

• echoes_or
    17 years ago

Can I get in on the exchange... I will have the centratuea I would be glad to exchange... If there is any of the orange lychnis I would appreciate trading. I have some yellow pincushion to trade plus other seeds. That monarda is to die for (almost LOL)so please can this Oregon gal trade with you all? You have the most amazing flowers that I never see down here.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

venuscat, Anna, echoes_or, check back with me in the fall season, thats when I do most of seed collecting, trading or SASE's ;)

Sharon

• northchild
    17 years ago

crazy gardener
    Hi.
    Your flowers are incredible. Do you put the seeds directly in the ground? Or do you use containers first then transplant?

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi northchild, welcome to the Garden Web and thank you for your compliment.

Sorry for getting back so late to you, been very very busy in the garden.

Some seeds I will direct sow, but all these photos above have been Winter Sowed, meaning that they have been sowed in containers/covers, then placed outside for the winter/spring. Do check out the discussion area for more information. There is also a mother forum that explains what WS'ing is all about.

Oh yes, please join us at the Far North forum too, lots of cold zoners hang out there ;)

Happy Gardening!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: WS FAQ's