Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Started Yet?

Crazy_Gardener
17 years ago

Anyone started their wintersowing yet?

I've got one container so far, it was so nice the other day that I was itching to start something. So I did a container of Myrrhis odorata Sweet Cicely.

What about you?

Sharon

Comments (22)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Well, Sharon, I did a container on the solstice of seeds DH found in this huge pod. I have no clue what it is! :) There were 4 seeds in this long furry pod, and I figured 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained!'

Don't have my ProMix soil yet. Discovered how much a bale was going to cost today, so I'll go into Halifax and get it next weekend.

Things are really too warm for me to take the leap at this time, so I'll probably start at the same time I've started all other years - February 14th. I am getting an awful itch though. Trying to appease it by making garden crafts. (It's not working very well...)

• pennylee
    17 years ago

I haven't started yet. I'm a little uncertain about when and what to sow but I have ordered a bunch of seeds in anticipation. I found that the wintersown.org website had a list of seeds that people have tried to winter sow in my zone so I am having a look at that and am finding it pretty interesting. (under 2006 database) Of course that doesn't mean that I won't be trying lots of other things as well.
    I think that sowing perennials is pretty straight forward but I would also like to sow a bunch of annuals since I usually start about 1,200 under lights and it would be great to be able to wintersow some of them. So I guess two of my questions are:
    1. Would you sow all annuals at the same time, and
    2. Will the annuals grow to a big enough size to be usable??
    Thanks
    Penny

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Penny, it all depends what annuals. Here in my zone there are some annuals that I much prefer to sow as usual indoors so that they will have a good head start in order for them to bloom in our short growing season and then there are some that do well with wintersowing.

So if you can list what you are planning on sowing we can give our experiences.

Most annual seeds donÂt need stratification, so therefore I donÂt sow those till around March-May.

I still have a few seed orders to order and I have to buy more soil too, I must go thru 5 bales a year!

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

I haven't ordered any seeds yet and of my own seeds i don't have anything that needs a long period of stratification. With the weather we were having, though, i should have started this past week!

Sharon, it occurs to me that i was supposed to send you some salpiglossis seeds. I'll do that one of these days, okay? No rush on them since they're annuals.

• sharont
    17 years ago

Because it's time to start a cold period for some species, I have used the paper towel/baggie sown method for seeds needing outdoor temperatures. They are hanging in my unheated greenhouse exposed to fluctuating temperatures for 8 wks. Also put eight pkgs near DH's African Violet light system as those seeds requires 4 to 8 wks of 20 degree Celsius temps before a cold period. This method means checking for sprouts every three or four days just in case they have skipped the long germination period the package or Norm Deno says they have!
    Tomorrow I'll start a few more species in pots in soilless mix and put out. We have no snow here so I'm using my greenhouse!
    When the Christmas tree came down in my dining room, DH & I both said aloud 'Is it time for the three shelf light system to be set up?' I'm trying to winter sow as much as possible this year so the lights will stay dismantled until March. Maybe!!!!
    I have more Clematis to sow (started sowing in November and December) Other seeds are soaking to break down their hard coats.
    Seeds winter sown so far: Iris zenaidac, Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea, Penstemon gracilis, Sorghastrum nutans, Clematis pitcheri, Clematis lasiandra, Filipendula rubra, Amelenchier alnifolia, Ixiolirion tatarium, Eritrichium canum, Aconitum lycoltonum, Paradisea liliastrum.
    sam

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    17 years ago

I have done 24 containers so far but was worried due to the warm weather but the weather forcast has wind chills in the -'s for the next week so I assume that will drop the chances of any premature germination...

• janet_grower
    17 years ago

I came on here today to ask the same question, has anyone started yet? I am worried with the above freezing temps here that its not a good time. I've never winter sown before and we are getting at or below zero predicted for the next week. Should I start now? I don't know about everyone else, but here near Ottawa, Ont. we have not really had a winter. 10 degrees a couple of days ago and its supposed to be -20. I don't mind those temps, if spring's here I can live without winter sowing! Janet

• sprout_canada
    17 years ago

My best guess is the seed pod is a Lupin. If it is, there would be groupings of pods on a stem, perhaps this one stray fell off. When you pop the pod open, it splits into two perfect halves, and the seed are "stiched" to the side.

• trishthegardenmom
    17 years ago

I haven't started yet. Just trying to decide what to sow this year. Last year was such a success but almost to the point of being overwhelming. So I am going to try and be a little more selective this year. But I had so much fun I don't know how its going to work out. :0)

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

Yep, I've done two flats, with 75 peat pots in each. In each peat pot, I planted 2 or more seeds (sometimes as many as 10 if the seeds were microscopic) in order to make sure I get at least one live plant out of each peat pot. Last year on varieties with low germination rate, I had a lot of empty pots, so this year I've planned ahead by adding extra seeds.

I plan to do more flats but budget restricts me to buying one flat a week.

Barb

• krystine
    17 years ago

Nope, just like Trish, last year I did waaaaay too many containers and ended up feeling guilty because I was still plunking plants into the ground late in the season! This year, I'm going to focus on annuals, so I still have time ;)

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

Why not do your perennials anyway and then have a "PLANT YARD SALE"? A lady in our town does one every year and she must make a fortune as she prices each plant plug from 1 to 3 dollars each depending on size and maturity. To make sales easier she just prints out pictures of the plants, puts the pictures on a bulletin board and numbers the picture and the plant to match eachother.

I think you could do just as well with a plant sale, as you could with a yard/garage sale.

Barb

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Still haven't done anything other than the one container, but my start date is fast approaching -February 14th. That bag of ProMix is looking aweful good right now as are all the conatiners which are ready to go.

I'm having so much fun doing mosaiced garden balls that my winter sowing may be very selective this year!

• trishthegardenmom
    17 years ago

I'm upto 32 containers so far. Many yet to do. Will get to some this weekend.
    Tiffy - what are mosaiced garden balls?

Trish

• wmc1
    17 years ago

Done 24 pop bottles so far with a mix of perennials and annuals.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Trish,

These are some of the garden balls I make. The first was just finished, and the second is a work in progress and the thrid was done last winter. I have quite a few more on the go right now. I just find a stand for them and place them in the gardens in the summer.

{{gwi:540749}}

{{gwi:540751}}

{{gwi:540107}}

• trishthegardenmom
    17 years ago

Wow! They are beautiful!! Wish there was some way to get one, they would make an awesome addition to my gardens!
    Thanks for showing me.
    Happy Gardening,
    Trish

• peatpod
    17 years ago

Tiffy those are beautiful!! Care to share with us how you make them? :o)

Laura

• i_heart_flowers
    17 years ago

O-M-G!!! We're supposed to get +3 here on Sunday.....PLUS 3!!! I'm thinking it would be a good day to try some WS??? I am, however, a little nervous about what to start with. I haven't received my seed orders yet but I do have some that I collected last fall and some that I picked up. Could I get some advice on what to try first??? Even if its just one thing, I really want to give it a go!

Collected:
    Rudbeckia - Prairie Sun
    Portulaca
    Purple Coneflower
    Oriental Poppy (Royal Wedding)
    Zinnia - some of the Perfusion Series
    Trailing Snapdragons - not too sure about the seeds

New:
    Astillbi
    Lupins
    Poppies

...my mind has gone blank - I can't think of what else I have. I need your help experts!! I figure the perennials should be first, but what would you pick?

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Trish and Laura,

I don't want to 'steal' this thread, so just briefly will tell you that they are made by starting with a bowling ball. If you search bowling ball at the Garden Junk Forum or the Stained Glass and Mosaic Forum you will find some there and explanations on 'how to'.

You can also e-mail me about them if you wish.

• xtreme_gardener
    17 years ago

Well, got going with two flats...one of Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' and one of some light blue delphs and Lemon Catmint. This is my first year so I'm experimenting with my timing. I saved some of the seed to start later as well, then compare. I had to shovel my way out to the garden...Phew! keeping them covered with snow sure won't be an issue here!

So, would a rule of thumb for WSing annuals be to sow them about when you'd start them indoors? I've heard here to wait untill March/April and that's generally when I start them indoors. Or maybe in my zone 1b it would be different then suggested? I generally plant out bedding plants (not WSd)in the first week or so of June.

• trishthegardenmom
    17 years ago

Just did 10 more! Hmm, what will it be next? Having fun...
    just thinking about all these plants sprouting...can't wait!
    Trish

Sponsored