Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wintersowing cannas???

Posted by xaroline zone3 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 10:51

Does anyone do wintersowing of Canna seeds ???
Since none of mine flowered from an indoor start last year---I am wondering if
wintersowing is a good idea for them???
Caroline

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wintersowing cannas???

cannas are tropical plants. Not a good idea. These plants thrive well in a damp warm environment. As a child growing up in tropical southeast asia, I would find these plants growing along ditches and canals. Their seeds would fall and grow along the sides of these places. I think you just need to give your plants a full year to bloom. In tropical asia these grow faster because they don't need to hibernate. so perhaps here in the north, it just needs a little bit longer to grow.

o

Hi Caroline: Cannas, although tropical plants which we grow as annuals here are perfect candidates for winter sowing and the earlier the better. I put my containers out yesterday which is a bit late. I usually put them out during January. Ianna is correct about them growing in warm climates, but the seed coats are very hard, and the freezing and thawing cycles we have in our winters softens the seed coat and they sprout in the spring. Winter sowing precludes the need for soaking or nicking the seeds which is needed for indoor or spring growing. They will bloom in the same year, but of course will not survive the winter. I have been doing this for at least six years and once I found out it worked I don't save tubers anymore. Germination here is late April.

o

Something that I read made me think it should work.
As I have limited room in the house----I may try it for this year.
When did they flower for you???
Our growing season is shorter most years.
Caroline.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here