Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharont_gw

Canadian Winter Sowing Container Count & Record

sharont
16 years ago

The US Winter Sowing Site has a count started again this year.

Canadian winter sowers lets count our efforts!

I have have an intuition Canadian Winter Sowers have been very busy.

I'll post your starting number and additions posting totals of containers sown each day.

BTW: A container may have several types of seed so the COUNT would be the number of types of seed sown in one container!

This thread will last until the end of May as we will count the number of germinated containers as well.

Post here to this site only. Do not start a new post! From this thread I will receive emails of new starts and additions as the containers are sown.

Example:

Zone 5............58 containers.

Sharon

Comments (137)

• ladyk2008
    16 years ago

22 more yesterday- Zone 3
    total of 44 and still going strong ;-)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I did 8 more on the weekend (zone 3). I have more containers now, so i may do a few more next weekend. There'll be a push on annuals in a few weeks. :)

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

13 for Zone 1!

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

10 containers for zone 4, all new varieties, not counting the repeats.

• sharont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The total Winter Sow Count now stands at

Zone 1......36
    Zone 2......29
    Zone 3.....213
    Zone 4.....112
    Zone 5.....701
    Zone 6.....428
    Zone 7

We just returned from our annual March holiday to Florida.
    The snow is still the same height as when we left over three weeks ago!
    So there is obviously time for more winter sowing. According to the weather forecasters that is.

Soon we'll have to go to Part 2 of Winter Sowing Container Count at 100 entries.
    Welcome to 'new' winter sowers and some 'old' ones too!

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

Welcome back Sharon! :-)Hope you enjoyed your holiday.
    I had hoped to get these posted before the next update but oh, well! maybe I will have more by the next one anyway.

I did 4 more last night--zone 6.

16 years ago

Sharon, i think we can go to 150 now, so we're pretty safe. :)

• gardeng8
    16 years ago

ws newbie here. Love this forum. Afraid I'm becoming addicted to this as I've been dreaming of seeds and containers. I have 8 ws so far...mostly annuals and a few perrenials.

• gladzoe
    16 years ago

9 more today for zone 3. It's mostly rainy/snowy today.

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

18 more for zone 4. I did some hardy and half-hardy annuals today. Is it early for annuals? Has anyone started annuals?

• sharont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

4 more for Zone 5.

I've included some Larkspur and an annual daisy to my winter sown pots and will be adding more annuals in the next few weeks. Mostly because I'm running out of room indoors. But also to try as an experiment.
    Will be putting out amaranthus, chilean glory vine, marigolds, verbena bonsaris.

• i_heart_flowers
    16 years ago

Five more for me : )

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

8 more for Zone 1!
    I'm going to start some tougher annuals now.

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

I have set 19 trays of Columbine and a pot of Clematis out so far.

Clayton

Here is a link that might be useful: Clayton's Blog

• sharont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

7 more for Zone 5.

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

8 more this morning--Z-6

16 years ago

Four more for zone 3 - the end of my perennials. This has been such a lousy spring that i might not get around to sowing annuals until May!

• sharont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The total Winter Sow Count this week is
    Zone 1...... 42
    Zone 2...... 53
    Zone 3......220
    Zone 4......130
    Zone 5......712
    Zone 6......448
    Zone 7

No where near the US site numbers but I'm sure there are lots of wintersowers here in Canada who don't log in to GardenWeb or let us know they have seeds outside waiting to sprout:)

• bettyjane_zone3
    16 years ago

I would be one of those wintersowers (albeit brand new) who did't know someone was keeping a count.
    In Zone 3 I have 68 containers.
    BettyJ

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

Reporting: Zone 5 - 65 containers. More to come.

• pmermuys
    16 years ago

Four containers for zone 5 :)

• debbie_z2
    16 years ago

9 more for zone 2

Deb

• i_heart_flowers
    16 years ago

Four more : )

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

18 for zone 4.

• sharont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Since spring seems to have arrived I guess this is the last post to our Canadian winter sown containers. If any one posts after today, I'll continue the tally.

The total Winter Sow Count 2007/8 is
    Zone 1...... 42
    Zone 2...... 66
    Zone 3......288
    Zone 4......148
    Zone 5......781
    Zone 6......448

Hope all seeds germinate!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon,

Please add 105 for Zone 6.

Thanks!

Nicole.

16 years ago

I did 8 more today - starting annuals now.

Sharon, many of us in the lower zones still have lots to do. I'd say keep it up until the end of April at least.

Thanks! :)

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Yah, for sure. I've still got some annuals I'll be doing later.

Did up some veggies today and I hope I'm not jumping the gun. Supposed to be quite cool next weekend.

So that's 7 more for moi in Zone 1b!

• hmacdona1
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon,

I must be nuts. I have wintersown 266 different types of seeds so far. I'm in zone 3a. Some of them are inside the same container (ie seed starting trays usually contain 3 or 4 different types of seeds). Am I doing this correctly?
    Thanks...Heather

P.S. I have only counted different seed types as per my spreadsheet. In some cases I have a few containers of the same seed type but have not counted those extra containers here.

• sharont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Heather, you're not nuts! Some of us are in the same category. We are 'obsessed gardeners and seed sowers':)

The WS count includes individual species of a genus. GL ealier in the season had questioned her sowings in individual paper pots in one container. One container had three different species.
    So your count would would be OK.

If it makes you feel any better I have 348 entries in my record pages. Not all wintersown seeds, as some pots and baggies are under indoor lights in my basement and (chuckle) dining room. Lost count of how many pots are outside!

• hmacdona1
    16 years ago

So Sharon,

I'm curious. I've noticed another website somewhere that has posted germination success rates for different plants in different zones (specifically from winter sowing). I know you're tracking the number of containers that are wintersown, but I was also wondering if I should be taking this a step further once the sprouts start to pop their little heads out of the dirt. Should I be reporting success rates somewhere, or am I just turning into too much of a gardening geek by even asking that question?
    Thanks in advance for your guidance....Heather

• sharont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Heather, do you presently record your seed germinations, habits, percetages, and placements?
    I have been keeping a yearly record of germinations but it's a 'what, where, when and how the plant grew' type of record ending with where it was planted in my garden eventually. (East shade garden, west rock garden, old rose bed garden, east hill garden or O. grass garden, etc.) I don't keep a computer database just an old fashion 3-ring binder. Each page has five seed histories of what I need to remember and ultimately record. My need for reference (memory) from year to year is imperative!

I don't know off hand of a site that records everyones germination results. Perhaps Trudi has a section on Wintersown.org. I've not navigated through the whole site.
    Rob on robsplants.com has his own site with germination techniques and percentages but not directed to wintersown.
    If there is a group or site wanting gardeners from different zones to report their wintersown successes comparing Zones in order to evaluate east versus west, praires versus coastal germination, I'd love to read about it!
    Perhaps there are seeds that you can germinate and keep growing in your Zone 3a, Alberta, that wouldn't normally survive there! The challenge of 'micro climate gardening' in any Zone in any particular garden is fascinating!
    That type of information is always an interesting read.

[I'm always ecstatic to grow a new seed and would love to tell everyone about it but I don't have that kind of time.
    I want to be outside from now until November!]

So Heather, if you find a site to record your successful germinations let us know! Let the 'garden geek' in you reign!:)

• kanuk
    16 years ago

Here's my first time WS count.
    Zone 4 - 151 containers to date.
    I'm waiting on a seed order to arrive by weeks end(fingers crossed) and even though it's getting late to call it winter sowing I'll be sowing those when they arrive. As it stands I'm not seeing any sprouts yet but hearing that many others have ... gives me hope & keeps me on the lookout.
    But my garlic's up if that counts!!! lol

• hmacdona1
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon,

I only started keeping more detailed information on my spreadsheet starting last year. I found it helpful so I didn't unknowingly re-purchase or trade for seeds that I haven't had success with previously. I'm now recording, if I had successful germination via wintersowing and then I plan on adding if the plant itself made it through a zone 3a winter after being planted in the garden. I also track when I sowed, and what I sowed indoors or in the greenhouse.
    For me, it's much more efficient to do this on the computer as I can type faster than I can write and I'm already buried in too much paper in my home office. I can sort for keywords as well before I give into my temptation and order from the seed catalogues.

I normally have a pretty good memory, but now I'm collecting, trading and purchasing enough seeds to garden for three different households, so I have found myself repeating past mistakes without remembering that "I'd already been there, done that" and shouldn't waste my money trying again.

I tripped across a site earlier this year and will try to locate it again. I found some of the stats around germination rates in various zones very helpful as it did help me make a decision as to whether I should sow it indoors, in my portable/pitiful greenhouse or go all out and wintersow. The results were definitely interesting.

Once I find that information, I will post that site here.

Thanks again for all of your advice and insights....Heather

• kanuk
    16 years ago

Hi Heather
    I've been reading your posts here and thought you might like to check out a program that I came upon (I think it was at GW). It's called circus ponies. As this is my first season WS I found that I was ending up with notes and papers piling up as I continued to collect information as you are doing. I have started using this program now and find it allows me to collect the data in a very user friendly manner and I can even add my own photos etc. as I go along. Very much like compiling my own book.
    It's something I've found very useful. I'm in no way affiliated with the company.
    They have a website.

• hmacdona1
    16 years ago

Hi Kanuk,

Thanks for mentioning that program. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks for the heads up....Heather

• hmacdona1
    16 years ago

Hi Kanuk,

I located the program you mentioned and everything I've read indicates it's for mac users. I'm a pc gal, so unfortunately won't work for me. I'll stick with my excel spreadsheets. Thanks for sharing. Heather

• kanuk
    16 years ago

Hi Heather

So sorry about that. I'm a Mac user and didn't even think about it. :-(
    My apologies.

• wlongon5b
    16 years ago

Hi Heather and Sharon,
    There is a database on www.wintersown.org that has success rates by zone. It was created by members of the wintersowing forum.
    Hope this helps.
    Wendy

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

Update for Zone 5: 24 more containers added.
    Northerner.

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

9 more last night--zone 6

feels good to be getting to the annuals!! :)
    gg

• sharont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

More sowing going on this past week!

The total Winter Sow Count 2007/8 is
    Zone 1...... 49
    Zone 2...... 66
    Zone 3......291
    Zone 4......299
    Zone 5......805
    Zone 6......552
    Zone 7......

• hmacdona1
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon,

Just double checking the count for zone 3. We were at 288 before I added another 266 on top of that. I think we have a few more since then...so I'm thinking were ballpark in the range of 554 for zone 3. Thanks...Heather

16 years ago

And while you're checking the Zone 3 count, you can add 12 more for me! :)

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

12 containers for zone 4. I'm almost done with winter-sowing. The rest are for direct sowing in the ground if is not getting too cold in a week or two.

• sharont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Additions noted.
    April 13.....Zone 3.....266 (hmac)

I'm reporting 3 for Zone 5 back on April 13.

The Canadian Winter Sown Count is
    Zone 1... 49
    Zone 2... 66
    Zone 3...566
    Zone 4...311
    Zone 5...808
    Zone 6...562
    Zone 7...

• durtcom
    15 years ago

I finished my winter sowing on the weekend and my total is 127 for zone 3.

I noticed last night that I have 2 containers with sprouts! Let the green begin...

Susan

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

OK, it's too nice out to be sowing containers and the compost needs attention so here's my last addition. Add another 120 containers to zone 6.

I know I'll be doing more but figure you might be going with Ron's May 1st date as the deadline. Just really starting the annuals.

Thanks for doing this Sharon. Not bad numbers for us in the great white north, eh? :O)

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I couldn't help myself. I just sowed 15 more pots. I sowed: Calendula, Topknot Balsam, Dwarf Fairy Pink Lupin, Angel Choir Poppy and Broken Colors 4 0'clocks. This w/s is getting addictive! marg

• sharont
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I believe dotcom this was your first post of your WS #s to the Canadian Winter Sow site. Thanks.
    I hope everyone is seeing great germination results from your sowing endeavours since January.

If anyone wants suggestions or assistance because you didn't have results perhaps you'd want to ask questions here. Everyone has their experiences and may help problem solving.

I'll keep this tally open for a couple more weeks. In case any Zone 1 to 3 people want to add more containers and for annuals sown outdoors in any Zone.

Direct seed sowing is another challenge. I'm starting these today albeit a little late here.

As of April 30, the Canadian Winter Sowing Container Count is
    Zone 1...... 49
    Zone 2...... 66
    Zone 3......693
    Zone 4......311
    Zone 5......823
    Zone 6......682
    Zone 7