Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

Labelling that works

User
13 years ago

I save old mini blinds and cut them about 6 inches long. Using a sharpie marker I write the name of the plant on top half and bottom half. In the sun, over time the sharpie fades. The bottom half of the mini blind sitting in the soil maintains the label marking so I can rewrite the top half again if needed. This also works when planting anything in the garden.

Failing that there is always my fimo which I can make name tags out of.

What works for you?

Comments (12)

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

the mini blinds are a great idea. :)I have the most success with writing on them with a plain old pencil. I heard about the plain pencil when I started to WS about three or four years ago, and they are still doing great.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

I use 6-7" metal blind strips (cut to a point on one end with tin snips) and either write with a Sharpie marker or use labels made with a Brother label machine. As you say, the ink gradually fades, but I just carry my Sharpie with me when strolling through the garden and "freshen up" any faded markers. I tried the plastic blinds, but they just bent and wouldn't go into my clay soil.

• bev_w
    13 years ago

I use metal blinds or heavy plastic ones-- Nyssaman brings tons to the SW Ontario swap every year and somehow I always end up with more than I can ever use.

I've found that the only really permanent pen is the "Garden Marker" by ArtLine. You can get these at independent stationers. Or you can use paint pens. They are slower to dry, but they work.

For people who like to start seeds in the black cellpacks, you can get a Sharpie marker with silver ink, which shows up great on the black plastic.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

I've used the mini-blinds for years. Good idea, though, to write on both halves. Will have to remember that.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

For marking the plastic cell-packs, I use the white plastic label tape, sometimes sold as freezer tape. It is thin and white, and very sticky on the back side. I found it easy to write on with either ink pen or Sharpie and definitely adhered to the plastic trays, even when outside over the winter. Sorry I can't give you a trade name. My DH bought it to label his homemade wine bottles.

• wmc1
    13 years ago

I use the Dymo express labeller with the plastic stick on strips, they make an impression so you don't have to worry about fading

• zuni
    12 years ago

I had a box of white plastic knifes left over from when my husband was single. I label them with a Sharpie marker and place them on the north side of the plants. These are much easier to push into the soil.

I have also tried painting small rocks with outdoor stensil paint. This works great in a raised bed veg garden. They look awfully cute, but of course they aren't visible when the plants get larger.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I have used plastic eating utensils , metal blinds, store bought tags, tongue depressors, painted wooden birdhouses, plastic pail lids, and every color of Sparpie/garden marker available. I would have to say, the one that works best isthe metal blind marker even though they fade. I shall have to start marking them on both ends. Great idea!Thanks so much for the tip Mcpeg!

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

The only marker that does not fade from year to year is the Garden Marker from Lee Valley. It survives sun, rain, snow and sleet, whatever you throw at it. When I started Wsing, I used a purchased plastic stake as a template and made a whole lot from plastic detergent jugs. I just pick them up at the end of the season and re-use many 'as-is' (anuals ad veggies); others I clean with nail-polish remover and have ready for my newly planted containers. I did not savour writing on a curved surface so never tried the blinds.

• gail_ish
    12 years ago

I use the mini-blinds but I put the foil hardware-store tape on them so that when I write on them, the pen indents into the foil so that even if the ink wears off, the indent of the words are there. And you can peel the labels off for reuse.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like the indent on the foil tape - wouldn't matter then about fading. Good one.

• posieh
    12 years ago

I've used this idea for for a few years and it works wonderfully. Cut the top and bottom off pop or beer cans and then cut the body length wise into about 6 strips. Fold one end down about 1/4 inch and used a paper punch to puch a hole in it. Now take a pointed engraver or a ball-poin pen will work and engrave on the can label the name of your plant and any other info you want to add. If you place a magazine or something else under the label while you engrave the info the info is preseved on the can label for ever. Cut about six inch stakes from galvanized wire and loop one end and the stakes will hold your label in the ground securely. Yes, they are sharp.....but YOU are careful! Hope this helps!