Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
i_heart_flowers

Where & When??

i_heart_flowers
17 years ago

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

Nice to sit down and relax after a hectic holiday season. Now on to the gardening season!! Whoo Hoo!!

As this will be my first year WS, I'm busting with questions. I'll keep it to just a couple for this first round!

First question is location. (I've been reading the FAQ and the Mother Forum looking for a straight answer but didn't seem to find what I was looking for.) Should I place the containers in a sunny or shady location? My vegetable garden area is in full sun and a patio area has sun and shade. Which would be better? I'm assuming you would want to avoid moving the containers around too much. Should I just place them directly on the ground? Should they be raised? Currently we have about 2 1/2 feet of snow back there.

Next question is - should I start now? Is it to early in zone 2B? I see Crazy Gardener has started, but she knows what she's doing!!!! I've saved lots of pop and milk containers. The only seeds I have are some that I collected in the fall and some leftovers that never got planted (gasp!! I know - shame!!) I truly believe you learn from your mistakes but I would hate to bomb at this from the get go!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so looking forward to getting started :)

Here's to a great Winter Sowing year!!!

Cheers!

Comments (5)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Welcome!!

You can place your containers anywhere you feel comfortable. I place mine on our Northwest facing deck, and Northeast facing veranda. These areas are not used during the winter, are right outside my kitchen door where I prepare the containers so I just have to zip out and then right back in, and are usually not accessed by slugs in early spring. Also, being right outside the kitchen door, it's easy for me to start checking on those sprouts when things start to warm up. Just a few morning hours of sun on the veranda, and mid-afternoon sun on the deck.

You can place them on the ground if you like, but I've made small tables out of free pallets which I place mine on. This is when they come off the deck/veranda. As I stated, I have a real slug problem...

Crazy Gardener has been doing this for a few years and does know what she's doing!! :) Since you are in her zone, I'd be inclined to follow her lead.

Best of luck!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Hi there and welcome to the WS forum!

Should I place the containers in a sunny or shady location? My vegetable garden area is in full sun and a patio area has sun and shade. Which would be better?

I have mine located in full sun, depending on species, they will start germinating around April. If you place your containers in full sun, make sure you check on them everyday incase you have to hand water.

Should I just place them directly on the ground? Should they be raised?

I have mine on tables that DH made me, theyre made with saw horses and 4x8 lattice.
    I prefer them up on something, easier to organize, handle and easier access when its time to water and see whatÂs germinating. A picnic table is ideal too if you have one.
    I guess you can have them sitting on the ground, but make sure they do have good drainage.

Should I start now? Is it too early in zone 2B?

IÂve only started one container so far, thatÂs only because this particular seed needs to be sowed fresh and needs the oscillating temps in order to germinate.

I donÂt start my WSÂing till around February, making sure its a nice mild day, not when its Â40C. In my experience this is usually fatal to the seed embryo if you stick (moist seed) outdoors when itÂs freezing cold; in Nature temps donÂt go from +20C, then all of sudden with no acclimatization to an extreme temp like Â40C. So what I do is wait till itÂs around Â10C or higher (this is mild in our climate). Or if itÂs any colder I will acclimatize the container in the fridge first for a couple of days then pop them outdoors when itÂs mild. Once outdoors, locate them in a protected area, also shovel snow on top of your containers so that they will be protected against the harsh blowing winds.

I also should mention that I only sow the hardy perennial types that need a stratification period first, followed by the regular perennials that donÂt need a cold period and then the hardy annuals are sowed around April/May. Tender annuals are sowed indoors as usual, our climate is way too short to be winter sowing tenders so I like to start those early indoors under lights to get a head start... plus with our unpredictable late frosts its usually damaging to those particular tenders seedlings. Everyone is different in their sowing schedules and techniques, however, this is my experience and I get great germination results.

Keep in mine that there are some complex seeds that will require several temperature sequence cycles. Some need a warm period first, those are best sowed in the early fall in order to have their warm, then followed with the cold and by spring time another warm. Those are called Multi-Cycle or Extended Germinators. And then there are some seeds that take 2 years to germinate, so donÂt dump your containers on those fussy seeds ;)

on the other hand, the weather has been awesome these days, so if your itching to sow something right now, try some hardy perennials, plus I see some snow in the forecast ;)

Best wishes,
    Sharon

• pennylee
    17 years ago

Good info Sharon - It's getting a lot clearer. Here's my question - I am assuming that hardy annuals are the ones that will self sow in the garden, like cosmos, snapdragons, etc. When I look at seed cataloques they often will identify annuals as "hardy annuals" but I have never been sure what zone they are talking about. OK, I just have to say that it is great to have other gardeners to talk to about this stuff. Hopefully, it will mean less experimenting and more results!!!
    Thanks
    Penny

• i_heart_flowers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much Tiffy! And Sharon - you are a wealth of information!! Took a look at my temperature forcast for this week - from -1 to -27 and everything in between. Don't you just love the Prairies!!

I'm going to look over the seed lists that I've seen posted previously and try and make some decisions - how hard can that be.......right?

Thanks again!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

You're welcome gals!

Penny, yes and no, it all depends how early you want your annuals blooming too. Although petunias are classified under half-hardy annuals and you may see some self seedlings popping up in the garden, I still like to start these early indoors for a head start, I like to have full baskets and containers blooming by June, rather than in July via the wintersowing method. If you don't mind waiting for blooms, then yes wintersow all your hardy, half-hardy annuals.

Nevertheless, yes, those that self-seed in our climate and that can stand a light frost are good candidates for winter sowing, but keep in mind they still need to be watched over and covered incase of a forecasted freeze.

i_heart_flowers and all, I hope you all know about the Far North forum, lots of Prairie cold hardy folks chat over there too.

Sharon

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting