Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
columbines

Posted by wmc1 s/w Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 16:34

Does anybody winter sow columbines, already put some out without thinking, thought I had better check.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: columbines

I WS some last year and am looking forward to seeing them bloom this spring. Yours will be fine.
When I finally get my containers and get them ready, I plan to do some more this year.
what ones did you do?
Anyone else sowing columbine?
gg

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 8:38

I w/s both columbine caerula and tequila sunrise last winter. Both did well. Neither flowered last year but I hope to get some really nice flowers this year. Marg

o

I've done them in the past as well - most of them have done fine.

o

• Posted by gwyn 6A, Mississauga (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 12:10

Done them in the past and they were great

o

I WS'd columbines and got very good germination. However, before they flowered (second year) they were attacked by something and some of them were entirely stripped of all leaves. After scrutnizing them, I realzed there were some little green worms eating them...never did find out what they were. I sprayed them with 10% ammonia and the plants were able to recover and flower but not well. I was told on one forum that they are prone to these kinds of infections so be on the lookout.

o

I've had the pleasure of these little worms. If they're not little, it's too late. :( They are called delphinium/columbine/larkspur worms. Follow the link to Jim Hole's Notebook for more information.

Personally, I find encouraging birds works really well for the delphiniums. I check frequently and when I find a rolled up leaf, I squeeze gently until there is a satisfying squish. Columbine is more critical. The little green worms will strip a plant overnight. At the first sign of a ragged leaf edge I check the undersides of ALL my leaves. Just brushing under the leaf will roll the little worms off and you can dispose of them as you wish. Miss one and say good -bye to your leaves.

"Enjoy Gardening"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here