Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello everyone! Doing any sowing?

Posted by wendy2shoes z6 S ON (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 17:22

I've done eight 2 litres, enough for now..will spring sow some annuals in April, and start a few tomatoes indoors. That will be about it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello everyone! Doing any sowing?

• Posted by bae1 6a (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 20:20

Sowed: white and pink lavatera, russell lupins, digitalis excelsior, alyssum, snapdragons, echinacea pupurea, evening scented stock, crystal palace lobelia.
May have sown basil, dill, and lettuce mixture too early. Intend to sow less hardy annuals in late March.

o

I have been sowing away. :-)
Not done yet but do have quite a few containers our there already. I am trying to use up some older seeds and even though I don't have plans for some of them in my garden, I will give some of them away if they grow successfully.

Some of the newer seeds that are definitely destined to make a home in my garden are some hardy hibiscus(both white and dark red), helenium, halo hollyhocks, love lies bleeding, euphorbia marginata, wallflowers, iceland poppies, and more, but can't think of them right now. More to come later when it is appropriate to sow them.
peppers and tomatoes will be started indoors.

Nice to see you WSing Wendy! hopefully you are all mended! (I still search for your pics occassionally. :-))

o

I have been very late starting because I am very unsure about my summer movements. We are planning a cruise, the dates are not firm, and I have no-one to look after my plants (to my satisfaction) when I am away so I am being hesitant. Yesterday I started, put out 4 2-litres of Cannas which are almost fool proof.

o

We did some winter sowing at our horticulture meeting yesterday. I sowed a container of primula. Maybe i'll do some more this weekend. Indoor sowing won't be done until later this month as i have other stuff going on before then and wouldn't have the time.

Funny to hear of someone winter sowing cannas! Not around here!

o

I got bored this winter, so have gone back to winter sowing. I did a lot in 2010 (my first year), a few the following year, and none last year in 2012. Most of my seeds are native perennials which need a cold-moist period in order to germinate. I sowed some in early Feb, late Feb, and now in March, depending on how long a cold period each species needs. My warm germinators will be sown in April.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here