Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Winter sowing 2007

Time to start keeping us all updated on what you've sown! Here's my list:

1. Myrrhis odorata 'Sweet Cecily'

That's it! LOL Maybe more by the weekend, we'll see. :)

Comments (8)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Cute Marciaz! :) That's about it so far for me too although I'm getting itchy. I sowed seeds which some believe are Wisteria seeds. Hubby found this pod... We'll see I guess.

Looked up your Sweet Cecily. Nice plant!

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

Here's what I've done so far..copied from a little excel sheet I keep as I sow

nicotiana sylvestris
    mexican hats
    corepsis sunburst
    lychnis deep pink
    red rose sharon
    dwarf golden flax
    nicotiana langsdoorfi
    malva white
    fountain grass
    mixed pinks
    erna's big hosta (my sister in law's.not a breed!)
    verbascum nigrum
    garden hibiscus
    joe pye weed
    salmon scabiosa
    nicotiana re/white
    pink perennial swee pea
    cornflower black ball
    hollyhock burgundy
    hollyhock white
    hollyhock fuschia
    hollyhock pink
    dianthus arctic fire
    KMOTGG
    twilite echinacea
    Yarrow pastels
    Rock cress

So ..Tiff..was it a wisteria? Hope so..if you want more..just ask!

Wendy

• kuzariprincess
    17 years ago

Gosh I'm amazed that you have already started! I'm afraid to start too soon because my sprouts outgrow their containers too soon. I have begun to save containers though, slurpee containers and the big organic lettuce containers. Anyone have any other suggestions of what to plant in?

Tova

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

My container of choice is 2 Litre pop bottles. If you are in Calgary, milk jugs should be readily available, which, I hear from our American cousins, are great for winter sowing. Check out the goddess' home page, wintersown.org. for full info on containers and prep. Happy wintersowing!

• ofpill
    17 years ago

I'm intrigued! I think that I'll start sowing two weeks from now after plastic recycling day ;-).

I'll keep a record of my successes and failures on my blog below

This sounds like a great idea for alliums (I'm a veggie freak) but anyone have any experience with Brassicas? They back of my seed packet says the seedlings don't like temps under 50F, or they may bolt.

Well, we'll see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ottawa Hortiphilia

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I winter-sowed Brassicas last year in late April. They were delicious. :)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Wendy,
    It does look like a Wisteria. If I get no germination, I'll drop you a note. After dealing with my mother's Wisteria in southern Nova Scotia, I don't know if I can even handle one of these plants :) Hers' took down the sturdies arbour built from cedar especially for the plant. They rebuilt another arbour out of wrought iron two years ago. I spent my whole week's vacation fighting with her W - getting it out of the old arbour and into the new. What a job!! Gorgeous plant thought!!

I see you are well ahead of the game in sowing. Eeeeegads! I'd better get going soon, but it won't be this weekend with this -35C windchill!! Brrrrrr...

• ofpill
    17 years ago

Oh goody. Looking forward to having healthy, happy baby broccoli.

By the way, you probably already know this but once you have sweet cicely started, it will self seed for you (I guess it likes winter sowing too). Mine does with abandon. I really love this herb: part shade, good in baking, takes care of itself! What more can you ask.

Telsing

Here is a link that might be useful: Ottawa Hortiphilia

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company