Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first attempt

Posted by redwolfdoc 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 22:29

Hello!

This is my first year winter sowing, and I'm very excited. Here's what I've got so far:
 photo 2014-01-18131412_zps9f77a89a.jpg

Ageratum, Anchusa, Beautyberry, Blackberry Lily, Cerinthe, Columbine, Delphinium, Foxglove, Jewels of Opar, Rock Cress, Echinacea, Mondo Grass, Salvia, and Snapdragon. In March I'll add Marigold, Nasturtium, and Petunias to that.

Any advice on Larkspur? I've read that it doesn't take well to being transplanted; direct sowing is best. But I also understand that it's best to direct sow in mid to late fall. I don't mind waiting a year if that's the way to go, but has anyone had any success direct sowing Larkspur in late winter or early spring?

Thanks!
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first attempt

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 8:19

Looking good Karen! I've done several of the ones you've done and they grew well. I did foxglove, delphinium, blackberry lily, columbine, Echinacea. Marigolds did well to but I didn't sow them til mid March, the petunias I tried fizzled, think that was my fault because I moved them to my greenhouse and it got to hot. My next seed order will be coming soon and there will be more to do. Right now I only have 3 flats. Sounds like you're hooked. BTW, I've never done larkspur but have read that other people have and it works for them. I never start w/s til after Christmas. Marg

o

Thank you Marg! I am well and truly hooked, and I haven't even seen seedlings yet! lol. It's just such a nice thing to do in these cold frozen months - helps me feel connected to my garden. Can't wait to see what grows! I'm going to add to it as well - Basket of Gold, two more columbines, dichondra and primrose. Still not sure how to handle the larkspur...
How long have you been WSing?
Karen

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 13:09

I used to do quite a bit but then got sidetracked with daylilies. I plan to do a lot more when my seed order comes in. BTW, I do columbine and they do great! Try asking about the larkspur on the Far North forum, it's a bit more active. Everyone there was a great help to me when I was starting. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here