kstrawson_gw

winter sowing started

kstrawson
17 years ago

okay so started my winter sowing on Jan 3. planted four types of hosta's,

Amaranthus-pygmy torch,

Love lies bleeding

and Kiss me over the garden gate.

Tried most of these indoors last year and they failed. Figured I would try outside and hope for the best. I used green pots and milk jugs. Still have more to go outside, just trying to find a day thats not windy.

Comments (6)

• ve_e

I'm working on it .. have hundreds of seeds to try (or so it seems) and a not quite 3 yr old who doesn't leave me much time to get it done! I'm going to definitely try some Indian/Asian balsam (or impatiens) and various malvas, malopes and lavateras. This is my first attempt at w/s and I hope it works out ... still have a couple of questions .. now that we have some snow, do I need to clear it or am I just setting the containers on top of it, and then do I ever need to worry about cleaning the snow off of them or do I just wait for it to melt??

thanks,
    Victoria

• ve_e

I'm working on it .. have hundreds of seeds to try (or so it seems) and a not quite 3 yr old who doesn't leave me much time to get it done! I'm going to definitely try some Indian/Asian balsam (or impatiens) and various malvas, malopes and lavateras. This is my first attempt at w/s and I hope it works out ... still have a couple of questions .. now that we have some snow, do I need to clear it or am I just setting the containers on top of it, and then do I ever need to worry about cleaning the snow off of them or do I just wait for it to melt??

thanks,
    Victoria

• ve_e

thanks,
    Victoria

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

kstrawson,
    My hostas did great last year, but the Amaranth and the KMOGG went bust. We had so much rain in June and cool weather that any tropical had a hard time. Not to worry, I had plenty of other things and I'm doing them again this year!

Have fun!!

• trishthegardenmom
    17 years ago

Good for you!! Sounds great so far. What else are you sowing? I did some hostas last year and they did fine, they were still little when I put them in the ground but I'm hoping this year they will be okay and bigger still. My KMOGG I had bought as a plant a few years ago and it just keeps coming back...love it!
    Happy Gardening!

• trishthegardenmom
    17 years ago

No need to worry about cleaning it off, just let it all melt away. Last year was my first year and I figured why not try the winter sowing? I tell you I'm so glad I did, I was really proud of my accomplishments. I had so much germinate and grow for me that I was literally giving stuff away cause I just didn't have enough room for it! I have a 5 and 6 year old so I usually do my stuff after they have gone to bed or occasionally in the morning till my daughter gets home from Kindergarten. My 5 year old is quite active and I don't get away with doing too much after she comes home from school. I just got 9 more pop bottles ready to sow, so after the kids go to school in the morning maybe I'll get a chance...but then theres that housework stuff. Darn! That just keeps getting in the way of gardening...lol! :o)
    Anyhow, I'm just a novice at this stuff but I really like it, it gets really addicting. Just have fun!

Trish

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA