Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello to anybody out there

Posted by aliciahere 3b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 0:27

Hello! Just joined and thought I would post a hello to anybody out there. I am from just outside of Edmonton, and I don't see a lot of zone 3 people out there! Just moved into a new house last year and this will be my first year planting a garden. I only planted a garden one year in my old house (and it just happened to be 2010 and of course my gorgeous tomato plants got blight). Decided to become ambitious and grow some plants from seeds, I stumbled upon this forum and am I ever happy to have found it. I will now be trying winter sowing. Very excited. Anybody else from Zone 3? What have you been WS? When did you sow your WS pots? Love to hear from anybody! Alicia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello to anybody out there

good morning Alicia, and welcome! :) I am afraid this is a very quiet site, but maybe we can get someone from z3 or near there to respond. I am from z6 in Ontario so our gardening experiences will be very different, but we will still share a love or desire for gardening and growing things.
I have gardened for a very long time but discovered winter sowing a few years back. I love it and hope you will too. I love growing my own plants from seed, and not just because they are cheap! lol!
start collecting containers (2L pop bottles, juice jugs, larger water bottles, etc.) and then all you will need is some potting soil and some seeds. Once you have decided what you want to plant you may find someone to trade with or to share seeds with you for a SASBE. I have seeds so may have what you are looking for. :)

If you haven't discovered it already, then I highly recommend the site, wintersown.org. I will post the link below. Tons of info!!

perennials should be out now as many of them will need the freeze thaw cycle to germinate. next will come the hardy annuals, etc.

Wishing you lots of success.

p.s. let me know about the seeds

Lois

Here is a link that might be useful: WS info

o
RE: Hello to anybody out there

Hello! I wintersow in zone 3 .
I usually start end of February or into March.
Sometimes April too.

Caroline

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here