Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeng8

More winter sown planting today...anyone else?

gardeng8
15 years ago

Finally got going again on my winter sowing! I sowed:

-siberian iris

-burgundy gallardia

-Summer Sun heliopsis

-Fatal Attraction echinacea

-Magnus echinacea

-Sunset echinacea

-siberian wallflower

-pink & white baby's breath

-La Fleur Lilac datura

-Firecracker allium

-digitalis lutea

-dwarf pink,double black & pink/pink eye hollyhocks

-lupin fabacea

-pink lupin

-Lucifer crocosmia

-pulsatilla vulgaris

-Jasione laevis (Shepherd's scabiosa)

-thrift

-dianthus

-blue flax

-Summer Nights delphinium (short)

I am pleased with todays sowing...have visions of everything blooming...sweet dreams! Tomorrow is another day...I just know there are more seeds that need to be sown! How about you??

Comments (6)

• gardeng8
    Original Author

Northerner, loads of time left to winter sow! I still have lots to do here also! I feel panic when I see on the Winter Sown site that people in warmer zones are planting out...and then I realize that we still have so much time before we can actually plant out. I hope to do more winter sowing this weekend and then do annuals in late March/early April. Good luck with your winter sowing!!! and have fun. Let us know how you make out!

• gardeng8
    Original Author

Northerner, loads of time left to winter sow! I still have lots to do here also! I feel panic when I see on the Winter Sown site that people in warmer zones are planting out...and then I realize that we still have so much time before we can actually plant out. I hope to do more winter sowing this weekend and then do annuals in late March/early April. Good luck with your winter sowing!!! and have fun. Let us know how you make out!

• gardeng8
    Original Author

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

On Sunday I did 3 different Foxgloves in 7 containers and at the end threw all the seeds in together in an eight container. :O) Got lots more to do but waiting for the -20C weather to pass through.

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

You two are making me start to panic!!I can't believe it is nearly the end of February and I haven't started sowing yet. We were away for most of January, then I came home to a sick child and spent the first half of the month nursing him back to good health. On Friday I went to Walmart - no seed starter. I remembered seeing some Pro-Mix at Canadian Tire and went there - no seed-starter except some small bags by Miracle-Grow which I never buy, but at least there is no fertilizer in it. Today I brought in my containers from the garage so I should be able to do some sowing tomorrow. Of course I am still doing trades. Wish me luck!!

• ljpother
    15 years ago

I planted a few spinach seeds in a ceramic planter last weekend. I covered them with old windshield washer containers and watered them in.

Currently, it's -20C going to -25C overnight, the last 3 cm of 10 cm of snow is still blowing around in gentle breeze. There is lots of time left for winter sowing. :) I'm thinking that when my potting soil thaws, it will be a good time to get serious about planting.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio