Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Winter Sowing Question: Moonflowers?

Posted by cynqueen 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 9, 07 at 9:35

Hi all,

I am a real beginner gardener, a lot of big plans with no actual experience :)

I have been reading this forum since the late Summer, and thought I would take a stab at this winter-sowing thing, seeing as the most I could loose is the cost of some seeds (rather than the much more expensive plants).

I think the first part of WS is clear to me (i.e. what type of containers to use, how to label,etc., but I do have lots of questions about if/when I get sprouts, which I won't bore you with now, seeing as I don't even know if I will be successful!

I was however, wondering if, in my zone, it is okay to WS moonflowers, or is it better just to direct-sow them in the spring.

Thanks in advance

Cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Winter Sowing Question: Moonflowers?

I've never had good luck with moonflowers, so i'm not one to give advice. However, i have heard that they take a long time to bloom so it's better to start them indoors. That's up here - may be different in zone 5.

o

Marcia is right. They do take sometime to bloom but they are well worth the effort. If you dont have lights you can start a few on a sunny window ledge. Just remember to plant them in a container that can be planted directly into the ground (peat pot) or in a container large enough that when you replant you dont disturbe the roots too much .. they dont like that :o)

Laura

o

Laura, i didn't know that about them not liking their roots disturbed, but it makes sense. I've started them and they've grown but never amounted to anything once transplanted. Peat pots it will be this year! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here