Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontnative

Do you re-use your containers?

ontnative
15 years ago

Do winter-sowers usually save and re-use their plastic containers from year to year? It seems a waste to discard them and get new (re-cycled) ones every winter. I am going to use plastic plant trays that I used when I started seeds indoors under lights many years ago. I always washed and re-used these to save money, and I plan to do the same when winter-sowing. Any comments or suggestions?

Comments (8)

• gardeng8

This is my second year winter sowing and YES, I definately reuse my containers. Some are recycled if they don't hold up-back to the blue box! I am always on the lookout for more containers to winter sow more though. On garbage day, I am always checking neighbours blue boxes for the ultimate container! (This is while walking my dogs so it isn't too obvious).

• gardeng8

This is my second year winter sowing and YES, I definately reuse my containers. Some are recycled if they don't hold up-back to the blue box! I am always on the lookout for more containers to winter sow more though. On garbage day, I am always checking neighbours blue boxes for the ultimate container! (This is while walking my dogs so it isn't too obvious).

• gardeng8

• ontnative
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a "thread" on the other WS Forum, so got some of questions answered there. Our "blue box" stuff is usually put out in clear blue garbage bags. Darn!! Can't even see the plastic containers, let alone try to "pinch" some. Now that I know waht to look for, I will keep my eye open for suitable trays/pots at garagae sales, dollar stores, etc. Gee, isn't WS fun!!.

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

I just wrote a note on a thread about containers in which I absolutely stated that I re-use my pop-bottles, salad containers, ice-cream & margarie tubs, and anti-freeze jugs. My pop containers are on their third year and it was not easy for me to get them because we do not drink pop. Like gardengal, I used to walk around the neighbourhood and sneak bottles from the blue boxes. What fun!!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

I reuse as well. Too much prep time goes into them to be throwing them out. If I was just doing a small amount, maybe they would all go in the blue bag yearly, but I'm still doing 200+ containers per year.

• homemommy
    15 years ago

Glad to know that when I build up my collection I can reuse them!

I met a lady on Freecycle that is saving her containers for me! Should be around 3 per week, I pick up every two weeks. May take a year to get enough, but will be worth it!

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

I use 2 litre pop bottles exclusively. After they've been planted, I just shake them out, toss into a big clear leaf bag, and store them in my crawlspace until next year. I used to wash them all before storing, but that was so time consuming (and not necessary).
    Any leftover soil just dries up, and I shake it out into my big soil bin when I re-sow.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!