Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
i_heart_flowers

WS'ing Coleus

i_heart_flowers
16 years ago

Any suggestions for success? I tried some last year (my first year WS'ing) but it was one of my no shows :( I think I may have started them earlier then I should have. Had no sprouts at all.

My daughter loves Coleus so I would like to provide her with a wack of plants for her mostly shady yard. Have Black Dragon and Kong Mosaic seeds. I have done the taking slips bit from my mother's plants but would like to avoid having them "in house!"

Comments (8)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I was planning on sowing coleus seeds inside. I think they might be one of those annuals that would take too long to mature if they were winter sown.

Anyone else?

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

I'm planing to sow them inside half the seeds, and the other half winter-sow them later maybe in April, since they are tender annuals.

• jay3fer
    16 years ago

Interesting... I'm being cautious and growing them from cuttings. 20 plants so far, from 3 different varieties I collected in September. But definitely interested in this because they are starting to take up a LOT of space! :-)))

(however, like pp's have said, I suspect they may be too "wussy" to do much of anything before the weather warms up)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:540878}}

• i_heart_flowers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess to ensure there is something to plant I had better do a bit of each. Oh the things we do for our kids:) Will be interesting to do a comparison and see what works best!

Thanks for your input!

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

Just picked up on this thread and am wondering if anyone has checked into what kind of selection process there is to produce hardier plants ie; is someone breeding for cold tolerance?
    I am also wondering what people have found to be the most colorful strain.
    I have just taken cuttings from some plants we had left over from last year and they have rooted very well and are starting to grow new shoots. Space is a problem no doubt!

Also wondering if anyone got some of the new selections from the University of Saskatchewan? Maybe they are not available yet.

Clayton

• dahlitsa
    16 years ago

I have sown some coleus inside and they now have developed their second leaves and i have them under lights. I would like to move some to pots and just put them in a sunny window because my space is limited. At what point should I do this?

• marilenav1
    16 years ago

As far as seed strains are concerned, I have found that there are a few of the Wizard Mix colors that are lovely. Some of the seed companies do offer individual colors. I like 'Wizard Sunset', Chocolate Mint, 'Splashdown' and 'Wizard Golden'. These can be purchased from Park Seed, Swallowtail Garden Seeds, and/or Plants of Distinction. Those three companies are all on the net and I would say that Swallowtail has very reasonable prices and shipping fees.

I started them in early February and found they grew quite quickly. I am not convinced that they would do well with wintersowing unless they are sown in April which might be too late for a good show.

Regarding Clayton's question, Coleus is a tropical plant and unless the genetic makeup of this plant is drastically changed, I doubt that the plant would be cold or frost tolerant.

I've had a look at some of the different strains offered by the U of SK and I do think there are some lovely varieties (like the Lobster types). I suppose that at some point, a marketing company like Proven Winners will pick up on them. At this point, I'm not aware of any company offering them for sale.

Marilena

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Coleus is way too tender to WS. They are very easy to start indoors by seed or from cuttings.

Sharon

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio