Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willow_2007

Containers 2009

willow_2007
15 years ago

Rather than pop bottles this year I am trying the large salad containers, coffee cups and zip lock bags.

{{gwi:360067}}

{{gwi:360068}}

Comments (8)

• gardeng8

looks good to me...I need to pick up more containers to continue winter sowing. Willow, did you put vent holes in the top and bottom of the underbed container? That looks like a neat system. I like the salad containers too (and have a supply of zip locks when I do run out completely) Thanks for sharing your pics!

• gardeng8

looks good to me...I need to pick up more containers to continue winter sowing. Willow, did you put vent holes in the top and bottom of the underbed container? That looks like a neat system. I like the salad containers too (and have a supply of zip locks when I do run out completely) Thanks for sharing your pics!

• gardeng8

• willow_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh yes, I used my electric drill to make many holes top and bottom.
    I just got myself a digital camera and with northerners assistance (thank-you) I was able to download the pictures right into the message, it's quite exciting.
    cheers

• ianna
    15 years ago

That's very clever, using the zip lock bags and the plastic case.

Ianna

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I've used salad containers, etc. before but have not yet tried the zip lock bags. Will have to give it a try next year. Marg

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

Hi Willow:
    I have not been on this site for months and I am glad to know that I was helpful with the downloading of your pics. There are so many people who have asked my assistance with it and I am glad to be able to put on my 'trainer's' hat and help out. Your set-up looks good. I have a couple of the salad containers which I used last year, and they worked very well. I also used coffee cups for my outdoor tomato experiment. They were in an old cooler, lined with styrofoam to protect them the Zone 5 temps., but it was not very successful - still had late tomatoes, so I am back to under the lights in my basement. My grow light 'died' last week, so I installed a new one last night to keep my hot peppers (sowed in December) going. I have never used zip loc bags, and I think it is because I have become 'ultra-green'. I also imagine that they would be difficult to handle once they thaw and the potting mix gets wet and soggy, so how do you handle that? I try not to use anything I can't easily re-use, so I have 2-litre pop bottles on their third year. I wash them and store them in wooden crates in the garage and I wash and re-use my salad containers, ice-cream and margarine tubs, and a few anti-freeze jugs. I even try to re-use my styrofoam cups, but that's a little difficult. I am glad to see you gals are all busy sowing. I will be starting in a few days. I have not 'caught up' since my husband's illness in the summer, so I am cutting back severely on my sowing this year. Good luck everyone!

• willow_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Northerner
    This is my second year winter sowing so the zip lock are a first try and I have also had thoughts regarding how they might hold up come spring. From what I have read on the forum, others have had success, so I will keep my fingers crossed.
    Glad to hear you are "ultra green" and that my salad containers can be re-used.
    I am envious of the growing lights, it's not something that is possible in my tiny city garden home.
    Sorry to hear of your husband's illness and hope he is on the mend.
    cheers

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County