Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Sowing in Milk Jugs

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 20, 11 at 14:58

First, I'll apologize because I'm sure if I looked and looked some more, I'd find the answer to my questions.

I'm wanting to winter sow for the first time and I've collected 15 milk jugs.

Is it easier in the spring to have cut the milk jugs closer to the middle, or further up, say, half way between the handle? Does it make a difference?

Also, should I be using the lids or not? Trudi says remove the lids, but I'm in Zone 3. I'm going to put the jugs in the middle of a 4 foot snowbank.

I've seen evidence of small rodents in our yard recently, which is not a common occurrence. Are they going to be interested in my winter sowing project?

Thanks for the replies =:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Sowing in Milk Jugs

Not much action here.

I guess I'll bump this down.

o
RE: Winter Sowing in Milk Jugs

From what I've learned, you should cut the jugs at the middle point so that you have enough room for at least four inches of soil and then lots of space above the soil for the seedlings to get lots of warmth from the greenhousing. I don't think you need worry too much about precision on this. It's likely easiest to cut below the handle, though some people leave the handle bit in tact and don't sever the two parts.

I've left the lids on and will take them off when I begin the hardening off of my plants. As long as there are air holes in your jugs, you needn't worry about it.

I've got lots of bunnies in my yard, and none of them seems interested in my jugs and flats.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here