Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turquoisegardenia

Wintersowing in 5a... please help a noob! :P

turquoisegardenia
13 years ago

Hi there! I'm in 5a (Montreal) and am going to try my hand at this wintersowing thing. I will have way more seeds than I know what to do with once all my SASEs and trades come in (what kind people there are on this site), so hey, why not-- there's not much to lose.

One observation I've made, though, is that most people seem to wintersow flowers. Though I would love to have a huge flower garden, my current third-floor balcony situation forces me to be more practical. Although I will have a few flowers, I mostly focus on edibles. This year, I plan on doing toms, sweet and hot peppers, squash, a few carrots, greens (brown mustard, komatsuna, lettuce, mesclun, and hopefully kale, spinach and collards if I can get some), and herbs (dill, chives, basil, cilantro, cumin, chervil, sorrel, greek oregano, lemongrass). Now some of this stuff I figure would fail miserably in my climate if I tried to wintersow it (toms, peppers, basil, cumin, cilantro, oregano for example, are all from Mediterranean/Middle Eastern countries, so no point in bothering). Have any of you fellow 5a-ers ever had any luck wintersowing any of the rest? I thought maybe greens, carrots and certain herbs would be better adapted to the cold... but as my title suggests, I'm a noob to this, so I don't trust my own judgment ;)

Comments (4)

Sponsored