Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Yearly sowing of annuals - which ones for you?

tiffy_z5_6_can
17 years ago

I have been winter sowing 3 particular annuals since I started 4 or 5 years ago. I consider them must have's for my gardens simply because they are used as fillers and I can always depend on them. Doing them again this year and they are:

Alyssum - a white compact variety sold by Vesey's.

Cynoglossum - The true blue annual forget-me-not which blooms during the summer after the biennial/perennial ones.

Marigold - the Tagetes orange ones. I actually have a love/hate relationship with these but fear if I don't plant them I'll miss them terribly.

What 3 annuals do you winter sow every year without fail to grace your gardens?

Comments (17)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Sunflowers
    Eschscholzia californica California Poppies
    Verbena bonariensis

Nicole, I just love the Tagetes Gem Marigold's, I've only tried the yellow so far, but for this year, I'm going to try the orange one. I think the orange will look good with blue wave petunias.

Sharon

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon,

If you want, I'll check to see if I have extra seeds of the Tagetes.

I finally did sunflowers successfully last year - The Kong turned out tall enough for the deers not to eat which made me happy.

I'll have to try the Verbena. Butterflies are increasing in population in our gardens and this one seems to be a good one for them!

• trishthegardenmom
    17 years ago

I like to grow

Impatiens - mostly purple/pink varieties
    Purple alyssum
    Sweet potato vine....I guess but there's just so many!! :o)

• gardengirlcs
    17 years ago

I was suprised most by "Great Lakes Lettuce" was harvesting it from my container while there was still snow on the ground.My favourite annuals are:

Allysum-Carpet of Snow
    Cosmos-Seashells
    Marigolds-Any will do!!

• sharont
    17 years ago

Every year I try some new varieties. Thanks for the sunflower heads up, Tiffy.
    These annuals are what I yearly sow outside in an unheated greenhouse in late February.
    Tagetes 'Orange Gem' (for years, keep saving seed)
    Ornamental Millet (")
    Ageratum 'Blue Horizon' (") & will add some new varieties
    Coreopsis 'Magogany Miget' (3rd yr)
    Salvias - Texas sage red & a blue (")
    Larkspur (2nd yr on my list to WS)
    Dalburg Daisy & Veronica for hanging baskets (")
    sharon (sam)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Thanks for the seed offer Nicole, but I've got them on order from William Dam Seeds, they should be in shortly.
    Pretty well, I love any flower that is orange.

Yes, yes the Verbena bonariensis is great for butterflies.
    Looks good in a mass planting or with mingling with other plants.

{{gwi:540906}}
    Rudbeckia hirta 'Indian Summer' & Verbena bonariensis

Sharon

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

I really love that combo Sharon. I may have to add Verbena to my WS'ing list now! LOL

My top three can't-live-without-annual-faves would be:

Lavatera 'Silver Cup' and 'Mont Blanc'
    Sunflowers (any variety -- the more the better)
    Cosmos, esp. Seashells, but I love the 'Sensation Mix' too

And... marigolds, zinnias, african daisies, sweet peas, salvias, poppies (any and all types!), Baby Blue Eyes (Nemophila menziesii), Stocks, Candytuft....

Ang

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

I'm heading towards Ageratum for border edge instead of alyssum (gets too 'leggy' for me). Easy to harvest seeds, easy to germinate.

{{gwi:375176}}

Also any BE Susans, and poppies

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    17 years ago

Last year I did mini bach buttons, asters powderpuff and some poppys....this year I have a ton of different things through trades to try...I am not sure where to put them but I'll stick them in somewhere :)
    P.S can you sucessfully wintersow impatients in zone 5???

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wendy,

I usually find Alyssums too leggy as well but found one offered by Vesey's which is nice and compact - forms a little mound and looks great. I posted a link below.

Sue,

I've never tried impatients or petunias. I do have a packet of petunias somewhere in the house and am thinking of trying 1/2 the seeds by winter sowing and the other 1/2 on top of the fridge (don't have a grow-light thingy).

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow Crystal Alyssum

• northerner_on
    17 years ago

My 'must-haves' are Asters (about 12 inches high)
    Calendula
    Petunias
    My forget-me-nots and giant balsam also self-sow each year.

• narcissus
    17 years ago

Do you think I could sow impatiens, cosmos,alyysum now?

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Narcissus,
    Alyssums are certainly fine to do now. I've had more success with cosmos when doing them a bit later - more like in mid-April.

I've never done Impatients, but I would think they would be a late one, no earlier than the end of April and into mid-May.

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

I did Impatients, but only after last frost. They took a long time to flower (mid July). Not really worth it in our zones. I just buy half a flat to fill in those shady areas and pots under the trees. If I lived in Virginia, it would be a different story. Sometimes you just have to live with the growing season you're handed.

• newbi
    17 years ago

Sharon,

That picture is beautiful. Do those wintersown flowers (Rudbeckia hirta 'Indian Summer' & Verbena bonariensis)bloom the first year from seed?

Lisa

• narcissus
    17 years ago

I have winter sown impatiens and alyssum so far. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm in Toronto, zone 6A.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Thanks Lisa, yes, they will bloom in their first year.

Sponsored