Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Started today

Posted by mcpeg 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 21:33

After doing more indoor seed starts and potting up little tomato plants into deeper pots got at cutting my water jugs for WS.

It's a start - got interrupted by visitors this afternoon. Managed to plant my sweet cicely seeds. They need a series of freezing and thawing to germinate the seeds - perfect for WS. Harvested the seeds last early summer. Should have been in an air tight container after what I read today on the internet so I'll see what happens. I can do probably another 2 water jugs full of these seeds. Plan to do that tomorrow.

So Peggy has done

Sweet Cicely

What have you started this year with WS?

Cheers,
Peggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Started today

sweet cicely looks pretty. are you growing it for looks or to actually use and what do you use it for?

I have quite a few things out there in the snow right now
columbine-red
butterfly bush-white and purple prince
gaillardia-burgundy and goblin
allium karataviense-ivory queen
ligularia-marie crawford
clematis macropetala-Jan Lindmark
clematis-ville de lyon and rouge cardinale
lychnis flos cuculi-ragged robin
hosta-from big daddy
coneflower-pink glade
veronicastrum-album
foxglove-yellow
hollyhock-yellow and red
anise hyssop
verbascum-milkshake

lots more in the plans but I am waiting for more 2L bottles. I just plant as I get them and they kind of come in a couple or three at a time.

o

I've got 3 garbage bags full of water jugs to cut into WS containers - I turn them on their side so I can get more seeds. Once they are fairly well started I transplant them into more WS jugs if needed.

Sweet Cicely can be used in a few ways. First and foremost I love it as a perennial plant around my house as a beautiful border with small annuals in front. The seeds can be used for baking (mild anise flavour), the leaves can be used in cold drinks, salads and probably more. I have learned to collect the seeds and to get them to grow again they need to be kept in an air tight packaging (tin foil?). Great for WS because the seeds actually need to freeze and thaw a few times to germinate. I'm cheating on this by using my water jugs with just a fold over lid - no holes top or bottom. I'm going to leave the container out for 2 weeks and then bring it in for 1 week and then repeat the process until spring or it starts to sprout. At that point I will bring them in to grow on my grow stand. I'm planning to pot them up to let them grow much larger before end May.

One adult plant can give you a few handful of seeds. Just remember to store them in tin foil packets and squeeze all the air out. It's a beautiful plant. And it smells great.

o

Hi Peggy, I wanted to let you know that I have sprouts of sweet ciciely!! I can't believe it. I WS them last year after you sent them to me and they never sprouted. Well I left the container and never dumped it out last year and I am so glad I did. When checking the containers while doing a clean up the other day I noticed green sprouts with big seed coverings hanging on the end of some of the first leaves that come out. I wasn't sure if they weren't seeds from the japanese ivory silk lilac that is nearby so I double checked today, what the sweet cicely seeds look like and sure enough that is what they are. Today one of them is getting a tiny true leaf. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here