Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello Ontario Winter Sowers

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 4:20

Hello everyone: It's been sometime since I've been on the forums - having trouble with my eyes had had some surgery and am now better. I wonder if anyone has had sprouts this year with this incredibly warm weather we have had.I went out a checked today and there is nothing growing, but my containers are mostly on the deck and get very little sun at this point of the year. I did not plant too much this year. I am thinking of re-doing my back yard and that will take most of the time. I have a few containers of perennials which I hope to plant out in the fall, but I am doing a lot of hot peppers which go in pots, my herbs which will go in the little herb garden, and I hope to hide my tomatoes between the ornamentals elsewhere. So what's everyone else doing?
Northerner

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello Ontario Winter Sowers

I have Sweet William sprouts! I noticed them on March 21 - the first day of spring.

o

I have several containers out there and am having great success in some of them. The rest are concerning me as I feel that they are ones that would have come up before the ones that have.

Not just sprouts, but starting to get true leaves in 'wild blue lupines' 'gaillardia Arizona sun' and 'pink fig-leafed hollyhock'. good sprouts in 'blue dragon' and 'red peony poppy'. Very few sprouts in the 'dark purple peony poppy'. Nothing at all showing in the chinese forget me nots, several kinds of petunias, gaillardia mesa yellow, northern sea oats, and a few others. Just hoping for the best with those ones. :)

o

• Posted by wmc1 s/w Ontario Sarnia (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 13:10

Got all kind of sprouts on my Echinaceas, did over 50 kinds this year, plus a few others

o

What a disaster!! We had been having such warm temps. that I moved my containers into the sun, gave them a good drench and voila, I had sprouts: a couple of grases, Sweet William, green onions, chives, hair allium, parsley and then the weather turned!! I cannot believe how we went from 25 degrees to below freezing and I was not prepared for it. I went out today and everything is like the first frost except for the Sweet William which is still green. Guess I will have to re-plant. I have never had this experience and now we're expecting snow and even hail tonight. How is everyone faring with this horrible change in the weather. Will these seedlings recover?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here