Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Seed starting Mix in Ontario

northerner_on
16 years ago

Hello Winter Sowing Friends:

This question of which seed-starting mix to use came up several times on the "Mother Forum" and when I ran out, I followed their advice and bought the Schultz product from Walmart - 14L/$4.97. I used it last year, but found after the first bag that there were many 'foreign'objects in the mix. This year, I opened my second bag to find a small stone (the size of the top of my pinkie; a twig (10 inches long - I measured it);and several other inclusions that I had to throw out. I also found that it contained more perlite than usual. I got a little peeved, and vowed that I would try Pro-Mix, which was always described as being expensive, whatever the cost. So I went to Canadian Tire on Saturday and found that they sell 17.5L of Pro Mix for $4.29. So Schultz is no bargain. It is such a joy to sow with the Pro-Mix - I usually cover seeds with a layer of dry mix and lightly mist it, so it's perfect for that. So if anyone's still labouring with Schultz, there's an alternative. I noticed on the Pro-Mix site that another distributor is Home Depot, but I don't know if their price is the same. Happy sowing!!

Comments (8)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Some professional nurseries will sell the big 3.8 cubic bales at a much better cost. Pro-Mix BX and Sunshine #4 are the best mixes I've come across for my indoor and wintersowings.

Sharon

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. Sharon. I'll keep it in mind the next time I buy.
    Northerner.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Moot point for me because nowhere around here was selling seed-starting mix - lots of potting mix but no seed-starting. And WM and CT here don't carry the Promix either. I finally snaffled a guy at one of our local nurseries and got a bale from there. I don't know how much of a bargain it's going to be. I have to go and pay him next week (there was no one working there at the time) and he said it was about $28 for the bale.

• kanuk
    16 years ago

Hi marciaz3

At the garden centre here a bale of Pro-mix BX was on sale for just under $24. I didn't pay attention to the non-sale price but it's somewhere just under $30. I'd say your nursery guy is giving you a decent price everything considered.
    It's my first time WS & using a soiless mix. I've been happy with Fafard. Occasionally I pick out the odd twig but it's fairly consistent.

I guess I couldn't have picked a better winter to take a stab at Winter Sowing!!
    It's still pretty wintery in these parts so I'm still planting up containers each & every day. I'm slowing down a little but to date I've planted 135 containers. Annuals will have to wait until the looonnngggg winter of 2007/2008 decides to slide into spring. Can't wait! I'm getting cabin fever already.

Wishing you all successful winter sowing.

• sharont
    16 years ago

Talking of not finding seed starting mix, in late January I dropped into Rona in Barrie, ON and asked if they would dig out a couple of bales from their snow covered lot during the next thaw. The guys did! Several bales were indoors & thawed out when I returned two weeks later. I usually use the Pro-Mix BX but settled for the Pro-Mix Potting and Seeding Mix 0142. Cost $20.00. I sometimes add perlite and vermiculite. And grit on top for alpines.

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

I have been using the Promix BX with about 7% playground sand(HomeDepot) and the Sunshine #4 (my fav in all cases)with about 10% playground sand. I have Clematis growing and blooming in the house and all seedling Clematis are potted up in this mix when they are moved from the 3.5 seedling pots.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Our HD and other big stores haven`t been carrying ProMix and I`ve had to travel into Halifax to get it, but this week I was so happy when I visited our newly opened RONA. They carry the ProMix BX in bales at $28.99 and now my distance to get soil will be cut in half!! The price is also lower than at my former supplier. Life is good!

The person in charge of the garden center there used to work at the place where I used to get the PM. He even remembers me from my past purchases. Life is good x 2!!

• sharont
    16 years ago

My DH is an enabler with my gardening.
    This Monday past, he found the large bale of ProMix BX at a nursery that has just opened it's doors this season. I should be all set until July! Maybe:)

Thanks for the recipe Clayton!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!