Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Busted!!!

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 5:45

Hi everyone: Haven't been on in a while because I am still pressing on with de-cluttering. Twenty-seven years is a l-o-n-g time!! As a result I have been pushing the envelope with my wintersowing and didn't start in earnest until March 4 (which last year was quite reasonable) and would you believe the temperature has shot up, there is no snow on my front lawn for the last two days, and it's above zero even overnight!! So there goes my winter sowing of perennials. I have been keeping my containers on the deck (North) out of the sun hoping I can prolong their 'cold' season. I have never seen such weather in Ottawa. Several of my perennials outside are sprouting: daffodils, tulips, helenium, daylilies, alliums, rhubarb, irises. I hope we have some more cold weather because there are some special perennials that need the cold strat. and I hate to think I have to put them in my fridge. Wendy, to think you have sprouts. So this will be a lesson to me: get all wintersown done by February because you never know when March will throw you a curve ball and be really warm. Happy Gardening, all.
Northerner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Busted!!!

According to our forecast we're about to get another week of cold weather coming up, so we'll send it your way, Northerner. :)

I've been anxiously checking my containers because i don't want them to sprout yet!

o

I've been checking my containers here too, after Wendy said that she had sprouts in Oakville, but so far nothing. Mine are all perennials, so they may be slower to germinate. We've been getting lots of warm weather this week, and I don't want my containers to get too warm.

o

Well, this is the year I decided to put my containers in full sun. Usually they are on the north side of the house and they get full sun from 1pm onwards but now they get it from 10am onwards. It may have been the wrong year to do it but we will see. Bachelor buttons and Clarkias have sprouted, maybe more as of yesterday's high of 20c recorded in Halifax, but I'm on the coast about 20 minutes from the city so we are always a bit cooler. Record breaking temps all last week.

We will see how it goes. :O)

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 8:53

I have just put out five flats of annuals. I'm thinking maybe I'll try tomatoes this year to. Oh, and I did buy another pkg of dianthus seeds, an annual called Fandangio. Guess they will go out to! I don't have anything sprouted yet but then most of what is out there are perennials. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here