Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wren_garden

OT Join the HGTV protest Campaign

wren_garden
14 years ago

Are you angry, sad and disappointed about the vanishing of real garden programs on TV. Want to lend your support to the fight to turn this around. Read On

This is taken from a post on the Winter Sowing forum. I know it is long but I would guess important to most of us. There is a lot of info for action, addresses, names, sites etc. In fact Nancy Drew in the 29th post on this thread lists all the addresses and Sewobsessed (founder of the protest) has THE email address for the campaign.

OT: HGTV Protest Campaign

Posted by sewobsessed 5a Upstate Cntrl NY (My Page) on

Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 17:12

Many, many of us are fed up with the lack of real gardening programs on HGTV (what 'G'?). The more I think about all those wonderful shows that are gone/cancelled, the more I fume.

Now, they've even cancelled Gardening By The Yard with Paul James (he was too old!?). What are they thinking?

According to a producer, gardening doesn't sell, but 'landscaping' does. Hmmm, gardeners' don't count to them, only landscape/design/real estate/30-minute-makeover shows do.

Obviously, emails to HGTV don't get anyone anywhere, as you could see by doing a search on GW itself or google. You get a lousy form letter in response.

BUT,

I happen to have an email addy for a higher-up at Scripps Networks (parent of HGTV) and a list (granted, pretty short so far) of companies that are advertising through them on HGTV and their contact links.

So, if we all hit them where it hurts the most - their advertisers - and email them stating that we've noticed them advertising on HGTV and in protest of the channel cancelling real gardening programs from their lineup, we, as well as our family and friends, will not be purchasing their products or patronizing their stores, do you think we could finally make some sort of impact?

We'd all have to do it as a group on a certain day though, or it wouldn't work (maybe a couple weeks from now?). I thought of just doing it myself, but, well . . . what good is one person going to do?

Do you think something like that would finally, finally get their attention? How many of you would really be willing to do something like this?

Slam Scripps and the advertisers all in one day, they'll get that we're serious?

Anyone know a good way to get the word spread?

How about April 13 for a date? Hit them from all sides all on the same day. Enough time? Someone got a better date?

(Below is the addy for Sewobsesseds blog with more information)

http://happyhobbyhabit.blogspot.com/2009/03/hgtv-protest-campaign-april-13-2009.html

The point of the whole thing is that all those channels DIY/HGTV/FLN/Food Network/GAC are all

owned by Scripps Networks.

The individual channel programming people are the ones that really don't care what we want to watch. Emailing each channel individually results in a form letter reply. But, they have bosses (Scripps Networks). The only people who are going to listen to a complaint of any kind are the head honchos at the parent network and their advertisers. That's who we need to target and I'm trying!

Wren Garden

How could we get word to the First Lady? We could Email every Nursery we use, on or off line, to join us on the 13th. What about every and any vendor that advertises in garden magazines, most list a www.com to contact them. Any college or high school that has a horticulture program. Directors of food banks. Garden clubs and Societies. Oprah! Sewobsessed, help. email me. I am Elizabeth

Go to the Winter Sowing forum here on GW and lend your support and keep up with the developments. Add your ideas and action. Elizabeth

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living