Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold weather coming

Posted by swontgirl_z5a (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 10:50

It is supposed to be fairly cool at the end of this week. I have seen -10 c for friday night. I have poppies, Amaranthus and flowering Kale germinated so far. Should I bring these jugs in?
As well can anyone tell me when I should start taking the top halves of the jugs off? It is cool all this week. If I leave the tops on will my seedlings start to rot?
Thanks - it is fun having things sprout but now I don't know what to do with them!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold weather coming

Did you plant them when the weather was still very cold (below freezing)? If so then they will be fine and you should just leave them alone. They know what they are doing and they should be fine. I don't remove the tops of my containers until the plants are getting a good size and it is fairly warm on a consistent basis. Of course my containers are in dappled shade in the morning and full shade as of about noon, so no chance of them getting too hot and frying.
Don't bring anything in....just take a deep breath and leave them alone :)

o
RE: cold weather coming

Just wanted to add that if you are really concerned then through an old sheet over them or an old blanket or something. that should keep them protected but remember to remove it first thing in the morning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here