Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

they're up

marricgardens
15 years ago

I just went out and checked my w/s and the lupins are coming up! Some of the containers had dried out so I had to water them. Can hardly wait to see what's next. Anyone else have anything up yet? Marg

Comments (15)

• gardeng8

Yeah Marric on the lupine sprouts! Mother Nature is amazing! I had a few siberian wallflower show some green the other day...I'll check the others later in the day as the containers are "frosted".
    How can you tell if the containers are dried out or just frozen??? I need to check for that too.
    Thanks, Carol

• gardeng8

Yeah Marric on the lupine sprouts! Mother Nature is amazing! I had a few siberian wallflower show some green the other day...I'll check the others later in the day as the containers are "frosted".
    How can you tell if the containers are dried out or just frozen??? I need to check for that too.
    Thanks, Carol

• gardeng8

Thanks, Carol

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Marg! You inspired me to go out! I really didn't want to as I had been checking for the last few days and nothing, so I had convinced myself not to look for a while.....but after your post, I thought I would look. Well quite a few bottles have seeds that look quite swollen and have just the tiniest hint of a split with a bit of yellow showing through. I am sure that when it gets a bit warmer, they will be full fledged sprouts. The lavender(munstead)though, did have an actual sprout that hadn't quite stood up, but it was definitely a GREEN sprout! A lot of the other seeds in the bottle are just behind that one, so that bottle will be all green very soon. YAY! It is amazing what a difference a day makes!!
    anybody else??
    gg

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

You ladies have me green with envy!!! I just went out and checked my containers and nothing!! I noticed that some of my containers were dried out last week and it turned out they were the ones in which I'd used Miracle Grow seed starter. That was the only thing available the day I decided to start sowing and I was late getting started. I went out with a spray bottle and gave each of them a few squirts and they seem O.K.today. Hope that hasn't ruined them. We had a good week of sunshine and warm temps. last week, but we woke up to snow on the ground this morning and for the last two days we have not been above zero, so I'll have to be patient. Enjoy your sprouts!!!
    Northerner.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Northerner: Mine have just started. The lupin seeds were from a plant I had bought 12 years ago. I saved seeds about 8 years ago and then we had a bad winter and the plant died. Thank goodness I saved seeds. We had just bought our farm and I never got around to sowing the seeds because we were to busy between our house in town and the farm. When I dug out the seeds this year, I didn't think they would germinate. My DH kept saying my winter sowing was to early and nothing would germinate but my lupins proved him wrong! Maybe tomorrow when you check you'll have a surprise waiting! Marg

• syrinth
    15 years ago

Gah, I'm so jealous. There's nothing growing down here yet, only green left over from last year. Really starting to freak out because I'm so anxious to get started this year.

I was very surprised to find the perfectly green Candy Mountain plant buried under the snow... it's not green anymore though *yurgh*

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Well I must have been zoned out when I was looking in my containers! I thought I would go out this morning and take a pic of the "lavender" sprout........nothing! I was sure I saw a sprout so I checked all the containers and sure enough I did see a sprout.in the baby's breath container! :-) I also found a LOT of sprouts in the shirley poppy container and a few in the calendula (radio) container! Not sure I am comfortable with these ones sprouting as they are annuals, but I will just keep an eye on them....we are still pretty cold although above zero in the daytime, but our night time temps are well below zero.
    I did take some pics so will try and post them in this thread later tonight.
    gg

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Got fat seeds here. :O) We will be having babies soon.

Congrats Marric. And remember to smell the Lupines when they bloom. Your nose might get stuck to them! They smell so good.

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

This is one of the pics of my fist sprouts. I think this is the baby's breath.a bit hard to see, but there are definitley sprouts. :-)
    Please let me know how to make these pics smaller. I won't post another until I can figure it out. I sdid it once on another forum, but forget how now!

{{gwi:540987}}
    gg

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just got back in after checking my w/s. I tried sowing some purple gazanias that I had left over. I didn't think it would work but thought it worth a try. I planted them Jan. 25 and they are coming up now. I also have the Band of Nobles and Russell lupins coming up and the penstemon Sensation Mix, w/s Feb. 19. Lupins always seem to be the first up, for me anyway. Now to do the impossible and wait for the rest of the containers to come up! Marg

• canadianprairiegirl
    15 years ago

this is my first attempt at w/s and I am still a little skeptical at how seedlings can survive the daily freeze thaw cycle but today there was a hint of green in the night scented stocks container!!!! I can't wait to see what happens in the next few weeks. Once the flats germinate, do they remain outside or should I bring them in on freezing cold nights? We are still -10 or so at night. Thank-you.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You can leave them outside at night. I use flats with domes so they are covered. I did put holes in the domes for ventilation. I also put a board across them because sometimes it gets extremely windy here. This is just my second year winter sowing but I'm still excited every time I see something new coming up. Today it was the wallflower and petunias. Now I have to start watering because there are a few things that have dried out. Marg

• latha
    15 years ago

My peony poppy and apple of peru has tiny sprouts. Winter sown in mid February....I am checking every day for more sprouts. Latha

• homemommy
    15 years ago

I have sprouts for Burgandy Blanket flower, Lupins and Forget Me Nots... I also had a single Holly Hock.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting