Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claubill

Winter sowing annuals

claubill
17 years ago

I've ordered the mini greenhouse that's on sale at Vesey's (for half price) and hopefully it will arrive next week. The way I'm going, there won't be any room in the basement to plant all the things I want to start. Do you think that I can start some of my annuals and put them in the mini-greenhouse? I could always cover it at night with a comforter. I would like to start some marigolds, mallows (Braveheart, Zebrina, and Ruby Regis), salpiglossis, osteospermum, zinnias, veronicas, and some others which I can't think of right.

Comments (5)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Are you talking about those plastic apparatus that you zip up?

I recall a couple of people using them last year and had great success sowing seeds in them, only thing they might flip over if you have a strong wind. Is there anything you can anchor them down with?

Also make sure you open the zip on those hot days, otherwise youÂll have fried sprouts.

I'd still wait to sow annuals around late April/May.

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Last year I used this type of greenhouse on the South side of my house. I started all of my annuals inside and moved them outside the middle of April. My house has a very protected area with a large overhang and cement in front. I'm sure the sun warmed the cement up during the day to help ward off the frosts at night. There was several occasions that I took an old comforter and covered the whole thing up. I had even my tender tomatoes and peppers in it from the get go.
    Sharon is right, open the thing up during the day. Even on cooler days, maybe unzip part of a side.
    And I came home from work one windy night to find one of these little greenhouses on my front lawn. (I did manage to salvage most of my plants) So for the wind you'll have to do something as well. Since mine is sitting on cement, I put some 3 x 6 " paving stones on the bottom shelves.
    So they do work and you can put out things early if you have an ideal area like I do.
    Shelley

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

There is a sale ad in one of the fliers this week (either CDN TIRE or Home Hardware) with one of those green metal shelving greenhouses and thick plastic cover. Don't quote me but I think they are asking only 29.00 for it. Next time I'm downstairs I'll check the flyers and let you know for sure the exact details. Hubby asked if I wanted one and I said the only thing would be the wind but he said it's no big deal to put a few concrete screws in the bricks and wire the whole unit to the side of the house so it won't go ANYWHERE. now I'm really thinking of getting it if they aren't all gone by the time he gets there.

Barb
    southern ontario, CANADA

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

I've been using that type of greenhouse for the past 3-4 years now and I love it! Great thing for me is that I can roll it around because my best spot for it also happens to be DS's(and neighour buddies) best spot for playing hockey! At least this way it's an easy compromise... so long as he rolls it back when he's done playing hockey! LOL

• kristal
    16 years ago

Knotty, if your dh says it's a good idea, then by all means, let him buy it - maybe even two!!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery