Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xaroline

What is sprouting in your WS jugs?

xaroline
14 years ago

What are your first sprouts this year?

Mine are Hollyhocks which were WS on February 23.

They are the true perennial kind: Antwerp hybrids.

Comments (26)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

So far nothing - i don't mind early sprouts but this is too early around here! I've been worried, though, because of the beautiful weather we had last week.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I keep checking my containers every few days, but so far nothing. I don't really expect to see any green, because they are all perennials, but I can still hope. With the cool (cold) weather we're currently experiencing, it is just as well there is nothing above ground. Temps to minus 9 at night.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I was checking all my containers to see if any needed watering (some of the smaller ones did) when I noticed a few very tiny seedlings just poking up out of soil. So far I have echinacea angustifolia, symphyotrichum nov. belgii and helianthus divaricatus seedlings. I'm hoping the ech.angustifolia is the "real thing" this time. In my area there is a lot of ech. pallida being sold as angustifolia. Angustifolia should be considerably shorter than it's close relative pallida. The New York aster is wild-collected in Nova Scotia (from Gardensnorth) so I am keen to see what this one looks like. Just a note on the watering. The containers that were dry had a lot of moisture on the inside of their clear plastic lids, so I had presumed that the soil was moist too. It wasn't. In fact, the soil badly needed watering. Check your potting soil mix. Don't just rely on seeing moisture on the inside of the lid.

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

So far Pak Choy, Lettuce and Portuguese Kale are up. So are the mallow, aconite and lupins. I haven't checked yet today but things are starting to pop up!

• orchidnana
    14 years ago

I WS on Feb.15 my Dianthus,Shasta Daisy and Lupins are all sprouting.I WS also Blue Poppies nothing yet.Ilove it:)

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

I checked mine again today and noticed that the red hibiscus and poppies are up. I also have a plug tray of something planted, as usual my labeling isn't the greatest. Have to look that up in my records. Whatever it is, about a 1/3 of them are up.

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

YAY!! today I noticed that there is a little 'thing' coming out of one of the seeds in the jug of 'Tatarian Maple'seeds
    --forget what they are called.....you know....the little root type thing that comes out.
    Planted them out on Jan. 1

• chowdhry
    14 years ago

I ws mostly by the end of February. This year, I had many from the old stash. "Baby blue eyes" were the first ones to perk up, followed by Lupins.
    So far so good, frost didnt kill any seedlings!. Today I noticed two Eryngium agavifolium perked up

• ontnative
    14 years ago

More green stuff coming up in my WS trays. Liatris (two types), some native violets, native New Engl.asters (40% pink),penstemon gracilis and some others I can't remember. Next time I check my trays, I need to take a pen and paper to write down the names. I didn't have much success last year, to be truthful, so am very pleased to see so many sprouting. I think my timing is better this year. It was disappointing last year to receive so many of the seeds too late for proper winter sowing (especially the natives). This year (Jan-Feb.2010) I planted many seeds that I had actually purchased or otherwise aquired in 2009. You know the old sayings "older but wiser" and "plan ahead".

• chowdhry
    14 years ago

Couple of Baptisia Australis (Blue Indigo) sprouted today!!. (temps are @10 degC). They were sown Feb 20th. (t@5degC). It took them 50 days to germinate!.

14 years ago

First sprouts today - Petrohagia saxifragia, and i have no idea what the common name is! The seeds were given to me by a friend who remembered that i had admired pictures of them a few years ago. I didn't remember! LOL

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Marcia, I had to look that one up...very pretty! Found that the common name is Tunic flower.

14 years ago

Thanks, greylady. They're supposed to be really tiny, and i like cute little things like that. :)

Several more things have sprouted today - some cosmos, amaranth, calendula, clarkia, etc. It might get cool at night by the weekend, so i'll put the containers with sprouted annuals into the cold frame. The sprouts should be fine with the double protection.

• anna_in_quebec
    14 years ago

Doing the happy sprout dance here in Quebec to the tune of Fascination: "it was germination I know...." :)

Sprouted so far:
    Calendula - Candyman Orange
    Calendula - Kablouna Mixed
    Dianthus - Elegance Lavender
    Dianthus - Siberian Blues
    Dianthus - Super Parfait Raspberry
    Dianthus - Victoriana
    Hollyhock - Creme de Cassis
    Malva Zebrina
    Painted Daisy
    Pansy - Jolly Joker
    Pansy - Karma Blue Butterfly
    Rudbeckia - Chocolate Orange
    Shasta Daisy (I am happy about this one, as it is seed collected in my garden back in 2006!)

I have 52 varieties sown, but since it is still coolish here, I will doing more each weekend.

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Well I started very late (except for my tree) (which is sprouted and doing well so far), but I am starting to see green in some containers :) yay!
    the Chinese forget me not and the dianthus/pinks and the black peony poppies are all showing green as of yesterday, but who knows how they will look after the cold temps last night. Nothing showing in any perennial container, but maybe the cold temps will help them along with germination.

How is everyone else doing now?

• orchidnana
    14 years ago

When do you take off the plastic on the containers,i enlarged the holes in the plastic?
    My Lupins are just about ready to transplant
    TIA
    orchidnana

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

orchidnana: I start taking the lids off when the days are warming up. I put them back on if it gets really windy. I also put them back on because the nights are still cold.

• trishthegardenmom
    14 years ago

So far it looks like:

Zinnia - Purple Prince
    Zinnia - Cactus Mix
    Poppy - Double Lavender
    Lavatera - Pink
    Morning Glory - Mixed Colours

That's not bad considering the poppy and lavatera seeds are at least 2 years old. Didn't think anything would come of trying but I guess I was wrong. Now only if the frost doesn't ruin anything it'll all be good.

• wlongon5b
    14 years ago

I planted 174 pop bottles. So far I have 146 that have germinated. I planted perennials, annuals and some veges. The perennial sweet pea is actually climbing out of the hole in the top of the bottle. I have wintersown for about 4 years now and this has been the best year yet. Now, what to do with all these plants LOL.
    Wendy

• orchidnana
    13 years ago

Marric thank you for the answer to my question

• trishthegardenmom
    13 years ago

I have more sprouts to report that I have noticed today.

Sweet Peas - Blue Azures Mix
    Salpiglossis - Mix
    Poppy - Double Pink & Lavender Mix
    Nemophilla - Penny Black
    Pansy - Show Swiss Giant Mix

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

As of last night I have:

tatarian maple tree
    cynoglossum
    gazania
    morning glory--red
    indian pea--blue
    millet--purple majesty
    geranium--yoshenoi
    agastache rupestris--apache sunset
    dianthus/pinks
    peony poppy--black
    nepeta musinii
    tomato--black cherry
    tomato--silvery fir tree

hope to get more out in the next day or two to give them a head.

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

oops! I meant headstart

• orchidnana
    13 years ago

I checked on Saturday and my Blue Poppies have sprouted only took 70 days ha ha

• xaroline
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have tried the Himalayan poppies as a winter sow,but none sprouted?
    I can sprout them indoors, but the wintersow does not work for me?

• harryjone
    13 years ago

this post helps me what would i sow in winter....the various replies provide lots of options and variety also...

thanks to this website, xaroline and all persons who reply to this post...

from
    harry

Here is a link that might be useful: Detox Resell Rights

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations