Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyk2008

Oh, my friends !! Look what I forgot I had :-)

ladyk2008
16 years ago

{{gwi:541021}}

{{gwi:541024}}

Hey, there ! We moved this past summer and I forgot I had these sitting in a box till this morning!! I haven't counted how many there are... but does anybody have any ideas on how I could use them for WS?? I have never done it before, and I am going to try my hand at it. I had some amazing 'GW Angels' help me out by sending seeds for starting from scratch on our yard, and as well, I have taken on a project that is going to entail a lot of work in regards to greenery at my son's K-12 school. The plants at the school have been neglected for years. They have tons of huge (some 3'x4', some 7'x3' etc.) concrete planters empty or having one or two sprigs of silk plants stuck in them and old dirt and half dead and almost half dead indoor plants (read houseplants!). So I have taken it upon myself to do something about it. And finding these containers was just perfect. I just have to come up with a way to use them. I was thinking maybe lining each one with landscape fabric, filling with soil to thumb depth, watering, seeding and then placing in a bag, twist tying it off and poking holes in the top.... Sound ok? Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for checking this out and responding!!

I love Garden Web, everybody here is pretty wonderful....

Kriste

Comments (4)

• wlongon5b
    16 years ago

Kriste,
    Last year I planted up 4 inch pots put them in trays and slid them into one of the those clear under the bed bags(Bought at Dollarama) with holes poked into the top. I had read where someone else had done it successfully.
    Well, I was skeptical it would work but it did.I had lot of plants growing. I lost a bunch when it forgot to uncover them on a warm sunny day and some of my babies fried:( I will be more diligent this year!!! You could do something similar with your lined containers.
    Wendy

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

I would use newspaper pots inside those boxes, each box wrapped in transparent plastic and secured with some elastic band or duct tape, of course punch some holes on top of the plastic for aeration. Anyway, I would try a few things whatever is around the house before I would buy anything else.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make newspaper seed-starter posts - video

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

You could also line them with coffee filters, rather than landscape fabric---you can pick them up very cheaply at a dollar store, and you wouldn't have to cut them either. I use coffee filters a lot to hold the soil from coming out the bottom of my pots. by the time you are ready to plant out, the filters will probably have deteriorated, but who cares by then? :)
    gg

• gladzoe
    16 years ago

I was thinking of using those greenhouse nursery carrying trays with all the holes for winter sowing. Was wondering how I'd keep the dirt from coming out but I'll run with Mariana's newspaper pots and line the bottom with them.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz