Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you direct sow in zones 3 and 4??

Posted by pennylee z3b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 17:48

I saw this posting on the winter sowing forum and was wondering what do gardeners direct sow in zones 3 and 4, if anything. The answers on the other forum mainly deal with the higher zones. Thanks
Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you direct sow in zones 3 and 4??

Not much, come to think of it. At the moment, the only things i can think of are matthiola (stocks) and gypsophilia (baby's breath). Oh, i direct sowed sweet peas one spring but i haven't done them again. Maybe i'll try this year.

o

Not that I grow all of these every year, but Sweet Peas, Love-in-a-mist, Marigolds, Sunflowers, Poppies, Bachelor Buttons and Nasturtiums. Some people wintersow them but I haven't so far because they grow satisfactorily from direct sowing.

o

Calendula

o

I have direct sowed Lavatera, Malva and Cosmos.

o

I direct sow sweet alyssum, bachelor buttons, marigolds, calendula, annual baby's breath, lavatera, cosmos, poppies, evening-scented stock, and sunflowers. I also do some wintersowing with the marigolds, lavatera, and cosmos, and I'm trying sunflowers this year hoping for some earlier blooms.
Connie

o

Last year, I had Dames' Rockets, corncockle, and calendulas and I was surprised that they self-seeded and came back on their own this year. This is really a treat because you just don't know where in the yard they are going to pop up from. Now we are going to see if the annual poppies will do the same.

o

I'm in Zone 5, but just to keep things going on this forum here's what I direct sow. As far as flowers are concerned I direct sow Lavatera, Calendula, Gomphrena, Nasturtiums, and my climbers like Morning Glory and Cardinal Climber. In the veggie department I direct sow snow peas, pole beans, lettuce, cucumbers, squash, parsley, thyme, cilanro, basil, swiss chard. That's about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here