Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xtreme_gardener

Help w/ Seed Selection for WSing

xtreme_gardener
17 years ago

Well, I received my William Damn seed order the other day. I was hoping to get some suggestions on which seeds are my best bet for success if WS'd and what I should stick to sowing indoors. This is my first year and I don't want to throw all my eggs into one basket and WS everything, but I also have limited indoor space.

Here's what I've got to start:

Flowers:

Stocks 'Harmony Mix'

Evening Scented Stocks 'Starlight Sensation' (new to me)

Sweet Peas 'Knee High'

Kochia 'Autumn Red' (new to me)

Euphorbia 'Kilimanjaro' (new, too)

Ammi 'Snowflake' (also new)

Clarkia 'Formula mix' (new)

Silene armeria 'Electra'

Sweet williams 'Forerunner Mix'

Millet 'Purple Majesty'(really looking forward to this one...never tried it before)

Dwarf Marigolds 'Disco Mix'

Rock Marigold 'Orange Gem'

Viola 'Amber Kiss' (soooo pretty!)

Veggies:

Red Romaine Lettuce

Summertime Lettuce

What about Beans ('Rocdor')?

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (7)

• narcissus
    17 years ago

Hi, I am new this year. From what I have been reading is to sow some of your seeds indoors and a few outdoors. That way you'll be safe. Have you looked at www.wintersowing.org?

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Toots, all of these can be WS'd...since they're annuals, no need to sow them till April or May.
    Stocks 'Harmony Mix'
    Evening Scented Stocks 'Starlight Sensation'
    Sweet Peas 'Knee High'
    Kochia 'Autumn Red'
    Euphorbia 'Kilimanjaro'
    Ammi 'Snowflake'
    Clarkia 'Formula mix'
    Silene armeria 'Electra'
    Sweet williams 'Forerunner Mix'
    Dwarf Marigolds 'Disco Mix'
    Rock Marigold 'Orange Gem'
    Viola 'Amber Kiss'
    Red Romaine Lettuce
    Summertime Lettuce

Millet 'Purple Majesty' - I would start these inside 8-10 weeks before planting out in 4" square containers. Check the FN forum, I believe there is a thread all about these guys.
    What about Beans ('Rocdor')- ? Sow direct outdoors after frost warnings.

• xtreme_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Narcissus, thanks for the tip, I'll probably sow some inside as well. Its kinda scary the first time! :^)

Thanks Sharon. Here's another question for you...How much difference will there be in the WS'd plants (April/May)and the indoor sown (late March/ early April)as far as bloom time (generally speaking)? Would the WS'd annuals be ahead of any that were direct sown, but behind the indoor plants?

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

There will be probably be only a slight difference in bloom time for the direct sowed, compared to wintersowed annuals, but you have better control with wintersowed seedlings.

Lettuce and beans are so easy to sow right in the garden.

Indoor sowed annuals will definitely bloom sooner if sowed indoors, especially those that are borderline hardy. If you have the room and right conditions sowing indoors by all means do that method, if not, wintersowed annuals will catch up and bloom in given time, just later depending on the weather.

This is why I like to start my Wave Petunias indoors, I want blooms by June, not July ;)

Sharon

• xtreme_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's sort of what I was thinking, just not sure if I was on the right track. Thanks again.

Re: lettuce and beans...my neighbor was eating lettuce way earlier than me last year so now I definately have to be eating it earlier than him! LOL! Its a no holds barred competition. He sowed his outside but kept it under plastic and it was planted under the eaves. I just seed mine straight into the garden usually...thought I might get ahead of him, by WSing some.
    With the beans...last year I started some indoors to get a head start, and they were a nightmare to harden off. Very touchy. So I also direct sowed some and they were noticeably behind the ones I started inside (even the ones that almost died and made a comeback) Thought I might get a bit of a head start and avoid the hardening off part if I winter sow them. I guess with them I'm not sure if the seeds will handle the cold or if they'll just rot. Last year was my first year with beans.

PS Sharon...you do have beautiful petunias :')

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Toots, i winter sowed lettuce last year with good results. It wouldn't hurt to try it - you just may win the lettuce contest this year. :)

• xtreme_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Marcia, that's good to know. I think I will try some. I'll let you know if it gives me the competition edge!

Sponsored