Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyswont

Bad luck so far!!

judyswont
17 years ago

This is my first time trying winter sowing so only did 7 bottles (4 2 litre pop bottles and 3 large water bottles). I planted them at the end of Feb. and put them on the deck in a pile of snow. All was fine until the snow melted, I then set them carefully along the patio doors so they would be out of the wind. Two days later we got a lot of wind and when I went out to check - the 4 pop bottles had all blown off - one into the window well and the others laying on their sides and open. I brought the open ones into the house and replanted them as I wasn't sure if the seeds were now on the bottom and maybe gone. I then put them back outside but this time I set them into a blue box with a large brick in for weight and put them on the deck. I thought for sure they would be fine!! Not so - the very next night we had a storm with massive wind which blew the blue box off the deck and the bottles were scattered and open - one had the top half missing completely!!

Needless to say - this is very discouraging for a first timer!! I think it's too windy here for winter sowing.

Judy

Comments (6)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Oh Judy. Now that's no good for sure!!

Let's see if we can help. I have a tendency to believe that maybe there wasn't enough soil in the containers. There should be at least 3 inches pressed down and the soil should be really moist. I leave mine in the sink to soak, then take out and while the soil is draining, I sow the seeds. At three inches, and being moist, the weight of the containers should be fine.

I live in just 20 minutes outside of Halifax and am so close to the Atlantic I can smell it every day. The winds here can get nasty. I keep my containers on a deck 10 feet off the ground which bears the brunt of any nor'easter which comes our way. I use 2 liter pop bottles and several other types of containers. Any less soil and I'm in trouble and fighting with the wind. Learned that the first year and haven't had any problems since.

A friend of mine lives even closer to the Atlantic than I do and on the top of a cliff. She tried what I said, but a few containers still toppled with her winds. I suggested placing a rock inside the two liter, and then 3 inches of moist soil. There's lots of room in the 2 liters which is great. Worked like a charm! She's never had the problem again.

I urge you to keep trying and discover what works for you. Once you do that, you'll enjoy this method of getting many more wonderful plants for your gardens!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Yeah, that's really too bad for a first timer, perhaps try 4L milk jugs next year, they get pretty heavy once filled and soaked.

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

Besides, you can plant a lot of annual flowers now as well! I don't even bother trying to start morning glories, marigolds, ageratum, portulaca until April. Get yourself some more seeds (dollar store is great, usually 3 for a buck) and do some more!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Or, if you e-mail me, I still have seeds that need homes and would be willing to send you. Don't be shy, if you want them, just e-mail me through my page here at GW. I'd be happy to give them a home!

• judyswont
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and for the offer of seeds Tiffy. I actually have lots of seeds still so will plant a few more and see what happens. I did have 3 inches of soil in the bottles and had soaked them in the sink. I decided instead of putting them on the deck, I should put them in the blue box on the ground - they should stay put that way. Has anyone planted bunny tail grass or other ornamental grasses using this winter sowing method?

Judy

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Judy,

I am doing ornamentals for the first time this year. I got some seeds from Donn on the main forum and am trying them out. He's the OG King! They've been out since the end of February but I don't expect anything soon since they are two warm weather grasses.

Bunny Tail Grass grows along our ditches here, so since Mother Nature winter sows them successfully here, you will be fine!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!