Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
narcissus_gw

I have 21 containers so far

narcissus
17 years ago

Hi, I have winter sown 21 containers so far. Very addictive. The snow has melted somewhat in Toronto. The soil in the containers are wet, should I be concerned? Thanks,

Comments (7)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

do you have drainage holes?

• narcissus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes I have drainage holes. I also have holes at the top. It's probably because the snow has melted.

• trishthegardenmom
    17 years ago

I'm just in Mississauga so weather is almost same as Toronto. Think I'm going to check my WS seeds, hopefully not too wet. I have them sitting on the picnic table and they do have drainage holes, so I think they should be fine, right? I'm upto 71 containers so far. Can't seem to stop..Think I'm going to have to buy some more containers to plant in....I think my DH is going to make me go to Seedaholics Anonymous...lol!!

Oh well, playing in the dirt again,
    Trish

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

They'll be ok if there are plenty of drainage holes, if they are sopping wet all the time, yes you'll have a problem with the seeds rotting.

• narcissus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You have 71! and I thought I was overdoing it with 21. I still have loads of different seeds, I'm not finish yet! How many drainage holes would be sufficient? I have about 3 o4 four in each container. Is that enough? Thanks

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Narcissus,

When I first started winter sowing, I was also wondering how many drain holes and how big should they be. What I did was look at the bottom of plant pots which I had and gauged it according to that. Seems to work very well. You might want to do the same.

I haven't done as much as other years so far, but am still sowing and this weekend I'm going to try to catch up to the tender annuals which I'll do in mid-April. So far I have about 160 containers out on the deck. but some conatiners have 'multiples' in them. I told myself I wouldn't do as many as previous years, but it looks like I'm heading for that 300 again... Ah well, having fun doing it!

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

I have 4 flats with 75 peat pots each. Soon I will start my annuals. I was going to start them indoors now but I figured I'll just wait another few weeks, do them up in the flats and put them outside with a window well cover over each. Those aught to be enough protection from any big cold snap we might have and since there'll only be two flats I can always bring them into the garage for the night if I know ahead of time.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

Sponsored