Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Sprouts in Ontario!!

northerner_on
13 years ago

Hi all you winter sowers out there!!! I recently realized that we are more than halfway through April and it is still freezing. Where has spring gone? Usually by this time, I have a good many seeds sprouted and this year, I have only four. Two I do not include because they are cold season veggies: baby bok choy and lettuce. The others are Sweet William and Maltee Cross. How is everyone else faring?

Comments (4)

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

It certainly is a cold wet spring so far, but my list is growing. I noticed the first sprouts on Apr. 10, but since I hadn't looked before (too ugly cold and miserable), they could have been sprouted a few days earlier as the container was very sprouted with evening scented stocks--lots of sprouts but still very short. Anyway since then I have sprouts of verbascum 'milkshake', white foxglove, lupines(noid), gaillardia 'burgundy', large flowered dianthus, lunaria, mignonette, lavatera 'ruby regis' and lychnis lumina 'salmon'. The container of rudbeckia 'prairie sun' has the tiniest dot of green , but not sure if that is what it is. So many more containers waiting to sprout! Not sure if I will get snapdragons or alpine poppies--I dropped the snaps and one of my dogs accidently kicked over the alpine poppies.
    Some of the things I thought would be among the first are not showing yet--poppies, larkspur and columbine.
    Thunderstorms and tons of rain over night, but today is supposed to be sunny with a high of 19. That sure will be a treat if it actually happens. :)

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are really doing quite well GG. I went out today and found few more: Rose Campion white, Lychnis Angel's Blush, Monarda fistulosa, Helenium Rust, bunching onions. I also realize why mine are a bit late: I kept my seeds on the deck (North side of the house) this year, so they have been getting sun only in recent weeks. They are usually in direct sun right from the start, but the slugs get into the containers before the sprouts emerge and gorge themselves on the roots. Yuk!! They are dreadful in my yard. I saw a snake last year, maybe it will multiply and take care of them for me. But I am very afraid of snakes. I just cant win!!

• ljpother
    12 years ago

I sowed in jugs for the first time this year. I found sprouts today, cabbage (?name faded) and California poppies.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had few more sprouts today: Monarda didyma, Heliopsis, Rose Campion fuschia. I will be direct sowing my poppies in the next few days because I didn't get around to it earlier. I have always sowed in 2-litre pop bottles because I can collect them in the neighbourhood. I never see milk jugs around here, I guess everyone uses the bags. I have three windshield wiper fluid jugs which I use for my zinnias because I like lots of them. Most other plants I just need a few of so the pop bottles are fine.

As for labels, I make my own out of any opaque plastic container available (detergent,etc), and I swear by the felt marker from Lee Valley. I have been re-using some of my labels for 3 years now, because they never fade in sun, rain, or snow. I sow just about the same annuals each year, so I just collect them in fall or early spring and they are ready to be used next time. If you have to erase them, rubbing alcohol and a little elbow grease works, or nail polish remover.
    Well, we have rain in the forecast until next Saturday, so my plans for yard work are caput. I'm sure I'll find something!!

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio