Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Sprouts in Ottawa!!

northerner_on
15 years ago

Finally, I have sprouts. Today, I took the tops of most of my 2-litres to find the following had sprouted:

Pale pink double poppies

Feverfew (Flore-pleno & regular)

Perovskia

Flanders Poppy - hallelujah!!Thanks Sunita!!

Red Lupins (old seed from 1999 - would you believe?)

African Daisy (Dimorphotheca) Love this little plant.

So, I'm on my way. Expecting hot weather tomorrow - 26 degrees- so must go out and wet my containers early.

Northerner.

Comments (4)

• kanuk
    15 years ago

Yay Sprouts!! I just bottom soaked my containers yesterday evening. Sheesh what a production that is!! lol
    They should be good for a bit now. I saw the tiniest growth happening with my poppies and the lupine seeds were showing obvious signs as well.
    With the warm temps we gotta be sure not to cook the babies ...

All the best northerner and keep us posted. Happy Spring!!

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Excellent point about the danger of things being cooked, Kanuk. We shot up to 26 degrees today, and I didn't get out until late this afternoon and a few of my Flanders poppies were singed - not enough to matter because I sowed a whole packet. I also had more sprouts - 2 types of zinnia, Mimulus cardinalis,Campnula 'Blue Clips',Lychnis Coronaria (white), Lychnis Flo-Jovis & Lumina, 2 types of Rudbeckia, white & yellow petunias, more sweet peas. I am busy making space for all these new things. It's such a good time to weed - the ground is still soft and things come up really easily.Have a great weekend!!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Great news!! Congrats!

Things are really coming about this year and I'm panicking because I haven't done even 75% of my annuals yet. This weather is tricky. Haven't seen warmth like this in April in years and am constantly asking "Do I or not?".

The Lynchnis are all germinating here - just started yesterday - so you shouldn't be too far behind.

Watch out for those high temps. At 15C outside, the internal temps inside my containers this week was 25C-30C. I lost a few more trees in the dappled shade area where I keep the containers so really have to keep an eye on the forecast this year.

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

I'm in the same conundrum..(tender annuals). I think I'm still going to hold off till last week April ..first week of May. We are being spoiled with this warm weather..which could bite back!
    I'm not worried a bit about the perennials..they seem to be sprouting at about the same time that their parents are starting new growth (lupins, lychnis), that seems to be the natural timeline.
    My garlic chives are slow to get going, just sending down those little roots, but I have high hopes for them as pretty rabbit repellants.
    Tiff..all the lychnis are sprouting..Can't wait to see the salmon, and I have a lot of babies from your rose campion from 2 years ago. Thanks for the wonderful seeds,,and like you advised me''the "german catchfly" is a favourite in my bed.

Sponsored
Expert Cabinetry Refinishing & Refacing in Loudoun County