Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Sprouts in Ontario!!!

northerner_on
15 years ago

Happy Easter Everyone!!!

I have been so busy this winter that I didn't start WSing until mid March and was not expecting too much, so I decided to have a look today. To my surprise I had sprouts of Siberian Wallflower, and Dianthus 'Arctic Fire' and 'Hot Pink'. Perhaps in future I will sow later and have less time looking and keeping things moist.

While outside I did some cleanup which should have been done in Fall. What a job!! I was disappointed that my Perovskia (Russian Sage) did not make it through the winter, and something 'dug out' my Inula Goliath!! UGH!! I was pleased to see my Buddlea 'greening up' and new perennial Geraniums pushing their little noses through. My rock garden is coming alive with snowdrops, scillas, and miniature irises, and my daffodils and tulips are at least two inches high. Isn't Spring great!! What's happening in your gardens?

Northerner.

Comments (11)

• gardeng8

YIP! YIP! YIPPEE! Congrats on your sprouts....siberian wallflower were my first sprouts too, followed closely by dianthus ... also, arctic fire. Gotta love Spring!

• gardeng8

YIP! YIP! YIPPEE! Congrats on your sprouts....siberian wallflower were my first sprouts too, followed closely by dianthus ... also, arctic fire. Gotta love Spring!

• gardeng8

• mariana2007
    15 years ago

Congratulation on your sprouts!
    Not much happening here. I have some sprouts in the containers that I put on the deck, but lots of the containers are still under the frozen snow in the backyard. Spring bulbs...I cannot see anything yet, still lots of snow here. The snow melted one a little spot on the side of the house and I can see the columbines winter-sowed last year. Seen greens feels good.

• homemommy
    15 years ago

I got into the winter sowing thing late in the game and did not get much planted, but... I have WS Forget Me Nots, Burgandy Blanket Flower, Lupins and a lone Holly Hock! Not too Shabby! Hopefully my WS Purple Cone Flowers, Daisy's, rock cress and Butterfly Bush and Blue Poppy and perennial sunflower won't be too far behind!

In the Gardens, I had a single daffodil in bloom, and a bunch more that will be any day now! Also I have found some of my daises, Perennial Geraniums, black eyed suzies, and a whole host of other plants starting to green up. I see peonies poking up, way way more then I thought I even had! (New to the garden this spring!)

Oh what a wonderful time of the year!!

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Congrats on your sprouts! :-)
    So much fun to go out and check them to see what is coming up. I am doing that and also this is the time of year that I start 'the patrol'! I scan the gardens everyday to see what is up or how the things that are up are doing. It sounds like there is much more going on in your garden than in mine. I have lots of WS sprouts, but the gardens are slow. The oriental poppies are up, and also the peonies and of course the daylilies. The hollyhocks are looking kind of bad but still have some green, and a new daisy that a friend gave me (kind of fluffy petals) is showing green. There are blooms from snowdrops, crocus and little blue bell type flowers(a neighbour gave them to me years ago and never knew the name)....I love them and they spread nicely. I haven't planted new tulips in several years so mine are slowly disappearing, but I do have some left that are several inches high, so hope for blooms from them.
    Please don't give up on your Russian sage. Mine is always slow, sometimes not showing life until I am about ready to give up as all the rest of the garden is leafing out. My butterfly bushes are not showing life yet either. You must have a real micro climate in your yard! :)
    I am not anywhere near done WS the seeds that I need to get in. I just got more bottles on Friday so will get them done this week. (hopefully)
    I hope that the weather will be nice enough to get more started and going on in the garden so I can report more activity soon.
    gg

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

OOPS! I forgot that I did plant some 'tulipa tarda' a couple of years ago. I love them and they are multiplying.
    gg

• growrellie
    15 years ago

My first sprouts are up - lupins. And there are still remnants of the snow banks to melt here yet. It's finally warm here though :)

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GG, thanks so much for the 'heads-up' on Perovskia. I have been resisting uprooting the little twigs left each day. Like you, I go out daily and do a 'patrol'. Today, I've had spouts of Lupins, Shasta Daisies, Black-eyed Susans, and my Siberian Irises are finally showing through. There was much less moisture down in the back there this year, and they love that. My peonies are all showing through now, but it seems my new bed next to the cedars was a complete failure. I had planted out several perennials and biennials there in the Fall, and only the rose bush and the white malva seem to have survived. There is hardly any snow cover there so maybe they all froze. So I'll have to fill it with annuals, which I am just starting to sow. We're having sunny warm days and cool nights all week. The perfect recipe for WSing. Marianna, it'll be up your way soon!!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

Lupines were my first ones too, followed by Clarkia and red poppies. Now we're going through a cold spell so i don't expect much in the next few days. I did a dozen containers of annuals today, and tomorrow will be taking cuttings of petunias and impatiens - not WSed, of course! :)

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I divided my winter sown petunias today. This was my first attempt with w/s petunias. I was very pleased to see the strong, healthy root system on them. I will definitely w/s them from now on. Marg

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio